replacement bag for Polaris 280

Jun 24, 2007
I'm on my 3rd bag from Polaris. The screen is fine and works well to trap dirt/sand but boy is it expensive. I have had a velcro bag and now a zipper bag. I like the zipper bag but noticed today that the seam along the crest of the bag came un sewn and the whole bag is split open. If I can find someone with a sewing machine it can be sewn back up and last a few months.

In the mean time I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with a generic replacement bag with a draw string on the original polaris collar? Does it work, who makes it? If there is a good generic I would assume it would cost $5-$10 vs. the $25-$50 for polaris models. Any ideas?
Thanks,

I have the same problem here. I have a Polaris 280 and the bag is good for about 1 year. I thought a replacement bag would run about $15 or $20, but I was shocked when my local pool store was asking $40. Either this is high-profit for the pool store or it is for Polaris (like ink cartridges for Hewlett-Packard).

If anyone knows of cheaper replacement bags, let us know. Or if you know a good place to purchase a Polaris bag online with low markup, myself and the other Polaris owners will be very grateful.

-Scott

I recently bought the sand and silt bag for $30 plus shipping and I think it is one of the best purchases I have made for my pool. Even if it only lasts one year, it's worth every penny for a perfectly swept pool with very little effort.

YMMV,
Dave

I agree that the bag/cleaner is a worthwhile asset to your pool. The polaris (or any cleaner) is an expensive add and well worth it.
Montare67 said:
I see them on eBay for under $20, also a few vendors sell in the low $20s

http://www.aquasuperstore.com/detail.as ... =327058793

Where I struggle is how often the bag must be replaced and the high cost. The zipper bag is $40ish w/shipping and the velcro (above) is $30 with shipping. I am just looking to see if anyone has found a generic that works or tried a bag with a draw string around an old polaris bag collar. It just seems that might work as a replacement. I have a blackmax (black version) so a deal is harder to find also.

Anyone tried another route to replace the bag?

Hey Y'all,

Well, it's now July and since I had to drain and refill back in May everything has been awesome, thanks to this forum. EXCEPT my polaris 360 was leaving behind small pieces of debris. I priced the finer mesh bags... holy cow! $44 for a bag?!?!?
Soooo, I decided to try a knee high panty hose secured with a rubber band instead of the regular bag. WOW! It worked GREAT!! I rolled it down so it was only about half the length of the knee high and that thing was FULL of tiny particles within a couple of hours. Oh, happy day.... nothing makes me smile more than not buying something expensive at the pool store! :)

Just wanted to share!
Jayden in Pflugerville, Texas :)

I use the Aquawerx, after market bags and love them. I use the mega bags. They hold more leaves than the Polaris leaf bag, and, due to the finer mesh, they catch virtually all of my sand and a lot of the silt. My silt is so fine that it goes right through the Polaris sand/silt bag and also a stocking inside any bag. The Aquawerx is just about as fine as the Polaris sand/silt bag but does seem to let a bit less of the silt go through the bag.

http://www.aquawerx.com/prod01.htm

The Aquawerx mega bag is easier to clean out the leaves and smaller gunk than any of the Polaris bags. I can't vouch for the longevity as my dogs are always stealing them for tear up toys but I do have one that is over 6 months old used many hours a day, most days a week. You can't beat the price either. It hurts a little less when they tear up an Aquawerx at $17.98 each (when two are ordered and free shipping) than a Polaris bag that cost $30-$40 or more. AND I like the Aquawerx bags better, anyway, than any of the Polaris bags.

The inventor/copyright holder/owner will answer any questions you have personally. Great service.

gg=alice

You might want to order an extra bag of clips in case you lose one. I've misplaced, but not lost any yet, but now keep a small mesh bag hanging near the pool and put the clips in the bag when they are not being used. Haven't lost any yet, but I'm sure, some day, I will. BTW... I do have some extra clips, now, due to the dogs eating some of the bags. :twisted:

Be sure to order the right bag as some of the cleaners have a square clip hole and some have oval clip hole. The bag for the Polaris 180 is, also, styled differently.

geekgranny,
thanks for the product suggestion and link to order. I will give them a try. I did email the guy and asked if he had them in black for the BlackMax and he does not but it might be worth it to just try them since the black bags change colors anyway.
Thanks again for the reply, I thought last year that someone out there would have an idea but got very little response.
Regards,
saving money before the season starts.... :whoot:

polyvue said:
geekgranny said:
The Aquawerx mega bag is easier to clean out the leaves and smaller gunk than any of the Polaris bags.
Alice, it's not clear from the pictures they have on the web site. Does the AW-28 MEGA open via a zipper, velcro or by some other means? Thanks.

It's Velcro. I've never had any issues with Velcro holding up. I have some Polaris leaf and regular bags that are at least 5 years old (I patch small holes with a piece of mesh, from doggies destroyed bags, and a glue that holds up well). In my pool, except on rare occasions, I have to put a fresh bag on daily, so I keep several to change out. I ordered a fine Polaris bag a few months ago, just to see if I it would filter the silt out better than the Aquawerx. It didn't. A couple of weeks ago doggies stole it from the metal bar where I hang them to drain before cleaning them. Sure did hurt when I found it. I can't remember what it cost but, at least, double (probably triple) what the Aquawerx bags cost.

BTW.... I have a brand new Polaris, 380/360 sand/silt bag, still in unopened bag that I ordered from Amazon, past summer, by mistake. I'll sell it for $15, plus shipping, to any one who wants it. First person to contact me and pay by PayPal gets it. PM me please to keep clutter out of thread.

gg=alice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.