How much should a pool pump cost to run?

May 26, 2009
Seminole, FL
Got my pool up and running a couple months ago, first power bill jumped up a LOT.. (Like $100+), second one is even higher.. $120+ over my normal bill. How much should a normal pool pump cost to run per month? I have a 1.5HP Flowtec pump that runs ~8 hours a day. The unknown factor is how much my cooling costs have gone up in my house, since I just purchased the house I am not sure if what I am seeing is mostly from it getting HOT here in the FL area and my bill is jumping from that, or if its a combo of both.

I'm trying to decide if its worth it to get a variable speed pump. But does anyone know what the approximate cost to run a pump this size should be?

your electric rate is roughly 13.1 cents per kwh (I'm betting you use more than 1,000 kwh per month. if not, it's lower)
at 13.5 cents per kwh, a 1.5hp pump costs about 20 cents per hour. so that's about $1.60 per day. since I'm using 13.5 cents and not 13.1 (I'm lazy and copying these numbers down from other documents) it's slightly less than that. here are the documents I used:
http://progress-energy.com/custservice/ ... sRates.pdf - your electric rates
http://www.lakelandelectric.com/aboutus ... 0701BC.pdf - a publication from my power company. they have a big list of stuff and how much they cost to run at 13.5 cents per hour. 1.5hp pool pump is on there as 20 cents per hour.

yes. I was looking at the most expensive electric bill ever this month. then I figured out the portable AC I got cause the master bedroom stays much warmer than the rest of the house costs about $40/month to run. so it put me back in line of what the bill would usually be, but a $300 electric bill sucks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mine was $347 last month with 2 zone A/C, pool pump on 15 hours a day, heat pump running ~4 hours a day. My rate is 9 cents per Kw. I didnt think it was that bad, really, given the house size and all the stuff we have running.

I can't believe what some of you pay for power :rant:

I thought my bill was high at $115.00

I live in a suburb of Seattle, first 600 kWh 0.076324 everything after that is 0.094133 per kWh

My parents are on Seattle city light & for summer rates they pay-First 10 kWh per day at 4.04¢ per kWh

All additional kWh per day at 8.24¢ per kWh

Hydro power= :party:

wsci_01_img0061.jpg

Grand Coulee Dam, the largest electric power producing facility in the United States, it is also the the largest concrete structure ever built.

http://www.usbr.gov/power/data/sites/gr ... ndcou.html

reebok said:
nice dam.

It is really quite amazing to see it in person, unfortunately after 9/11 the tour is not nearly as good as it once was.

They used to take you way down to the depths of the dam, not anymore,

BUT they still do a laser show on the face of the dam, every night @ 10:00pm

http://www.grandcouleedam.com/aboutlls.html

"This post is not a paid endorsement of the Bonneville Power Administration''

Bob_Funk said:
I can't believe what some of you pay for power :rant:

I thought my bill was high at $115.00

I live in a suburb of Seattle, first 600 kWh 0.076324 everything after that is 0.094133 per kWh

My parents are on Seattle city light & for summer rates they pay-First 10 kWh per day at 4.04¢ per kWh

All additional kWh per day at 8.24¢ per kWh
l

I agree with you 100%!! Ours averages out to around 100/month and I was just grumbling to my wife 3 days ago that with the new sand filter, our electric rose to 110. and thats with the ac on too!!! but yet our 1400sq FT total electric home is 2yrs old and has that expandable Styrofoam insulation stuff you spray in between the studs in the walls.

Wow! I feel better.. we just bought a home last October that has central air and a 30,000 inground pool with spa. Up until now we have had window air conditioners and at most an AG 15' pool. The pool has one pump for the main pool, another for the spa, another for the poolsweep, and an air pump to inject bubbles into the spa! When I opened our last electric bill and saw the total was $366 I thought that may have been for 2 months...but nooooo... I hate to see the next bill as it has been in the high 90s all week and today should hit 100..

Although after working all day, floating in the pool last night at 11pm with a temperature of 86 (both air and water) just watching the stars and the only light coming from the underwater pool lights....priceless!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.