Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: How much should a pool pump cost to run?

How much should a pool pump cost to run?

Got my pool up and running a couple months ago, first power bill jumped up a LOT.. (Like $100+), second one is even higher.. $120+ over my normal bill. How much should a normal pool pump cost to run per month? I have a 1.5HP Flowtec pump that runs ~8 hours a day. The unknown factor is how much my cooling costs have gone up in my house, since I just purchased the house I am not sure if what I am seeing is mostly from it getting HOT here in the FL area and my bill is jumping from that, or if its a combo of both.

I'm trying to decide if its worth it to get a variable speed pump. But does anyone know what the approximate cost to run a pump this size should be?
    ~13000 inground plaster
    150sq Ft Cartridge Filter

Re: How much should a pool pump cost to run?

Do you know what your electric rate is?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

You're probably running about 500 KWH per month. Multiply that times your electric rate and you've got a pretty close guess.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

your electric rate is roughly 13.1 cents per kwh (I'm betting you use more than 1,000 kwh per month. if not, it's lower)
    at 13.5 cents per kwh, a 1.5hp pump costs about 20 cents per hour. so that's about $1.60 per day. since I'm using 13.5 cents and not 13.1 (I'm lazy and copying these numbers down from other documents) it's slightly less than that. here are the documents I used:
    http://progress-energy.com/custservice/ ... sRates.pdf - your electric rates
    http://www.lakelandelectric.com/aboutus ... 0701BC.pdf - a publication from my power company. they have a big list of stuff and how much they cost to run at 13.5 cents per hour. 1.5hp pool pump is on there as 20 cents per hour.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

Thanks, so I am looking at about $50 a month is what it should cost me. I'm thinking my A/C usage may be the more likely cause of my big jump then. I'll have to yell at the wife to turn things down a bit..
    ~13000 inground plaster
    150sq Ft Cartridge Filter

yes. I was looking at the most expensive electric bill ever this month. then I figured out the portable AC I got cause the master bedroom stays much warmer than the rest of the house costs about $40/month to run. so it put me back in line of what the bill would usually be, but a $300 electric bill sucks!
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

Mine jumped HUGE! I'm scared to open them anymore....
    18ft. Arcadia Round AGP - 19" Sand Filter, 1 hp pump
    Foam cove/ Gorilla Pad/ Wedding cake steps
    Sta Rite Lil' Shark cleaner and Aquabot Pool Rover cleaner - Aqua-Luminator light and return flow w/fountain attachment
    Added Borates 5/19/09 Taylor K-1005 and Taylor FAS-DPD Chlorine Tests

filter-operating-cost-t9754.html

read the last post by me. it is a formula for calculating the cost.
    18' AG Pool, 6900 gallons, 55 sq. ft. Hayward Easy Clear Cartridge Filter, 1hp Power Flow LX Pump, North Texas

Quote Originally Posted by keri1973
    Tell me about it. My bill from May was about $500, from the heat pump, filter, swg, slide, you name it. June wasn't much better, just a bit less.
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

Quote Originally Posted by crabboy
    Quote Originally Posted by keri1973
    Tell me about it. My bill from May was about $500, from the heat pump, filter, swg, slide, you name it. June wasn't much better, just a bit less.

I think I would have fainted!
    18ft. Arcadia Round AGP - 19" Sand Filter, 1 hp pump
    Foam cove/ Gorilla Pad/ Wedding cake steps
    Sta Rite Lil' Shark cleaner and Aquabot Pool Rover cleaner - Aqua-Luminator light and return flow w/fountain attachment
    Added Borates 5/19/09 Taylor K-1005 and Taylor FAS-DPD Chlorine Tests

Mine was $347 last month with 2 zone A/C, pool pump on 15 hours a day, heat pump running ~4 hours a day. My rate is 9 cents per Kw. I didnt think it was that bad, really, given the house size and all the stuff we have running.

wow, that's a long run time. have you seen this article in pool-school/ ?
    pool-school/pump_run_time

:P

Quote Originally Posted by reebok
    wow, that's a long run time. have you seen this article in pool-school/ ?
    pool-school/pump_run_time

:P
    Why, why, yes i have as a matter of fact

It turns over about 4 times a day, maybe a little more. I only run the SWG 2.5 hours a day and keep my CYA at 50 ppm. Keeps a happy ~5 ppm FC at all times

I can't believe what some of you pay for power

I thought my bill was high at $115.00

I live in a suburb of Seattle, first 600 kWh 0.076324 everything after that is 0.094133 per kWh

My parents are on Seattle city light & for summer rates they pay-First 10 kWh per day at 4.04¢ per kWh

All additional kWh per day at 8.24¢ per kWh

Hydro power=

Grand Coulee Dam, the largest electric power producing facility in the United States, it is also the the largest concrete structure ever built.

http://www.usbr.gov/power/data/sites/gr ... ndcou.html
    I consider myself very lucky I found this site before the pool store found me-pool owner since Nov 2008- Stunningly clear 17,000 gal fiberglass pool, thanks to this site, installed in 1982-24" 3.1sq. ft sta-rite sand filter, 250# new sand -1 hp sta-rite dura glass pump-TF-100

well, the actual electric rate is under 6 cents, but the "fuel charge" almost doubles it due to the huge spike in coal and natural gas costs the last few years. nice dam.

Of my $347 bill last month, nearly a third was taxes and distribution charges (read another kind of tax).

Quote Originally Posted by reebok
    nice dam.
    It is really quite amazing to see it in person, unfortunately after 9/11 the tour is not nearly as good as it once was.

They used to take you way down to the depths of the dam, not anymore,

BUT they still do a laser show on the face of the dam, every night @ 10:00pm

http://www.grandcouleedam.com/aboutlls.html

"This post is not a paid endorsement of the Bonneville Power Administration''
    I consider myself very lucky I found this site before the pool store found me-pool owner since Nov 2008- Stunningly clear 17,000 gal fiberglass pool, thanks to this site, installed in 1982-24" 3.1sq. ft sta-rite sand filter, 250# new sand -1 hp sta-rite dura glass pump-TF-100

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Funk
    I can't believe what some of you pay for power

I thought my bill was high at $115.00

I live in a suburb of Seattle, first 600 kWh 0.076324 everything after that is 0.094133 per kWh

My parents are on Seattle city light & for summer rates they pay-First 10 kWh per day at 4.04¢ per kWh

All additional kWh per day at 8.24¢ per kWh
    l

I agree with you 100%!! Ours averages out to around 100/month and I was just grumbling to my wife 3 days ago that with the new sand filter, our electric rose to 110. and thats with the ac on too!!! but yet our 1400sq FT total electric home is 2yrs old and has that expandable Styrofoam insulation stuff you spray in between the studs in the walls.
    18ft x 48in Round Intex Ultra frame. 6,700 gallons.

$700 last month, almost $600 this month....

Our peak rate we pay over $0.40 (yes, the 4 is in the right place) in CA.

I want to move...
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

Wow! I feel better.. we just bought a home last October that has central air and a 30,000 inground pool with spa. Up until now we have had window air conditioners and at most an AG 15' pool. The pool has one pump for the main pool, another for the spa, another for the poolsweep, and an air pump to inject bubbles into the spa! When I opened our last electric bill and saw the total was $366 I thought that may have been for 2 months...but nooooo... I hate to see the next bill as it has been in the high 90s all week and today should hit 100..

Although after working all day, floating in the pool last night at 11pm with a temperature of 86 (both air and water) just watching the stars and the only light coming from the underwater pool lights....priceless!
    +-8,000 gallon AG pool with sand filter

After our first BBB treatment today, our levels are:
    FC - 2
    CC - 0
    pH - 7.5
    TA - 120
    CYA - 0