just started using BBB

8corneflakes

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2009
Fort Wayne, IN
here I am, determined to learn and use the BBB method. I currently only have the six way test from Walmart and here are my numbers.

TC 5
TA 160
PH 7.2
TH 500
CYA 30
(what was the sixth test? Hmmm)

Now what? It seems that everyone here is talking about FC. Does my test kit from walmart test this. Does the one recommended on this site test FC? Previously my water was GREEN and gross. Over the last four days, I have added 8 bottles of bleach (96 oz). Currently, my water is a milky aqua color. also, I have a chlorine floaty thing with the chlorine pucks in it. Should I still be using this with the BBB? Getting better, now what?

thanks,
theresa

the sixth test is probably the fact that it does FC and CC (TC is FC+CC) just guessing though, I don't have this kit.
it's more difficult to clear your pool without the FAS-DPD chlorine test. you can do it though. I would recommend you read the pool school article called read this before you post on the forum so we can get a better idea about your setup, which affects how much bleach you need to be adding.
pool-school/
read through the section on pool chemistry also if you haven't yet.

The tablets, as long as they don't contain copper, at this point will lower your PH and raise your CYA level. So as long as you keep the PH above 7.2 with Borax that will be fine, and a CYA of 30 is not too high, yet, but you don't want it to go above 50.

The tablets - if they are HTH Dual Action, they contain copper. Verify the ingredients on the package if you can.

The sixth test is Bromine, but you are using Chlorine so disregard Bromine references or "BR" on the comparator tube.

You should put your specs in your siggy, go to User Control Panel, top left, then Profile, then Edit Signature.

Learn how to use the Pool Calculator, so you can determine how much bleach to add to reach your shock level. When you can hold shock level thru frequent bleach additions, then you'll see progress. :wink:

Okay, great info! I will check my tabs to see what they are. I did add my info to my signature line and I am currently reading the pool school at 30 second intervals due to six children. I just ordered the test kits available here so I will post numbers as soon as I get it. I think 'm off to a good start!

Sanitizer tabs

I checked the tabs I had been using in the floater thingy. They are from Bioguard. The package reads 3" sanitizer tabs. They are called Silk Tabs. The active ingredient is trichlor-triazinetrione at 94.05%. Then it has 'other' listed as 5.95%. Other is maybe oatmeal or peanut butter or Malibu Rum...who knows. In paranthesis is available chlorine 84.65%. As for copper, I don't know and they're not tell'n. Package touts it as fast acting. I assume this means acting fast to waste my money! If I shouldn't be putting these in my pool, by all means, tell me. We can use them as hockey pucks. They are just in there because we have always put them in under the direction of the almighty pool store. We call them 'College Tabs', as we are sending the owners kids to college by purchasing them. Any suggestions?

So wonderful to have such good people to help!!

Thanks again!

that's crazy. they're going to have to start going to community college now that you've found this site ;)
you can continue using them for now if you want, the problem is people use them for a long time and their CYA gets way too high.

Well, pretty sure those don't have copper. :wink:

You can stop using them when your CYA level reaches 50. You can use the "Effects of Adding Chemicals" section of the Pool Calculator, to determine how much each tablet will raise the CYA level in your pool. Just keep an eye on the PH/TA levels so they don't get to low. Once the CYA reaches 50, you would switch to bleach, testing for FC each night and adding a little bleach each night to maintain proper levels. It's really easy, and alot cheaper than tabs. You might be able to afford grad school. :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The test results are in!

Threads Merged for Consistency

Great news! My test kit came today and I'm not pregnant! Read my sig line and you'll understand.

Better news, it is cloudy today so I can finally tackle my pool! He are my results:

FC 9.5
CC .5
TC 10
PH 7.5
TA 170
CH 640 (Maybe a YIKES. I fill the pool with well water but filter it through a hose filter)
CYA 35 (currently using the last of my bioguard tabs)

I don't know the water temp because some kid ripped the fish off the top and discarded the rest.

Current water condition is slightly cloudy. I can see the ladder steps. Turns out we do have a ladder afterall. I can almost see the bottom of the pool, but it's cloudy.

Also, my water level is somewhat low due to a hole at the bottom that my hubby will fix when he is home this weekend. The water level is 1/4 way up the skimmer but I think I should add if I'm going to be backwashing alot.

So, I need a good pool guru to tell me EXACTLY what to do and in what order.

A super big thank you,

Re: The test results are in!

Current water condition is slightly cloudy. I can see the ladder steps. Turns out we do have a ladder afterall. I can almost see the bottom of the pool, but it's cloudy.
It sounds like your pool is clearing from a previous, more cloudy condition, Is that right? What did it look like a week ago?

your shock level is 14. I would get it up to 14 and hold it there by testing and adding as much as possible (at least twice a day, up to every hour). then tonight you can do the overnight fc loss test to verify if it's alive or dead. pool-school/overnight_fc_test
you can try the shorter test for ch to verify your reading.
water-testing-instructions-on-one-page-t11306.html
follow the numbers in brackets for the ch test. really not a big deal either way though.

Hi, I merged your posts for consistency. :wink:

You need to bring your FC level up to shock level and hold it there with frequent bleach additions. Follow the steps in How to Shock your Pool.

Then tonight using the FAS-DPD test, you do an Overnight FC Loss test.

Sand filters take a while to clear up the water when the algae is dead, but first we have to confirm it's actually dead.

Once it is, you can try a little DE in the sand filter to help with the clarity.

:mrgreen: Reebok beat me to it! :wink:

the merge thing freeked me out too. I had to type that whole initial post with one hand, because I had a baby on my lap. Then it was gone. Thank goodness it is still here!

Yes, my water was significantly cloudier and last week it was green. I couldn't even see the first step of the ladder. Since I didn't have a test kit and refused to spend more $$ at the pool store, I started up a surprise long term relationship with the lady at the dollar store! I have just been putting in a couple jugs of bleach every night, brushing the pool daily and running the filter all the time.

Now, the calculator says to add 126 oz of bleach to shock to 14. So, just to make sure, I'm going to add the bleach now, then recheck the FC in one hour. I will then put that result into the pool calculator again and see how much bleach I have to add again. Then I get it up to shock level the last time before bed and check my number in the morning to see if it held. Is this correct? If it holds, then what?

Mark my words..."I hearby delare that when my water looks like a bottle of evian, I will immediatly become a TFP supporter"

LOL....sorry about that. We like to keep the topics together on one thread...

Dollar Store? We generally advise folk to avoid their bleach. We have had bad reports of weaker strength, like 3%, or degraded/old bleach that has been sitting around a long time.

One way to tell is you add enough to reach a target, test 30 minutes later, and if you didn't reach the target, there's a good chance the bleach isn't good. (This assumes of course no life organics in the water.)

Generic brand bleaches like Target, Wal-mart's Great Value and Aldi bleach are all ok.

1st week in!

Merged to maintain history. Butterfly

OMG! (or OMGsh if you prefer). I am LOVING being able to understand my water a bit better. In fact, I stumbled over an old 'pool store' water test read out. Previously I never knew what the numbers meant. Thanks to TFP, I actually understood the numbers. So sad that I took this long to educate myself.

After shocking this entire week, my water is clear. I can see the bottom of my pool. Thank goodness no one was lying on the bottom. I wouldn't say my water is 'sparkling' yet, but it is much better. Now, I need some advice. Here are my numbers.

FC 8 (was 14 when I went to bed and my lowest drop overnight so far.)
CC .5 (stayed the same all week)
TC 8.5 (slowly went down through the week)
pH 7.5 (steady all week)
T/A 160 (steady all week)
CH 640
CYA 50 (up from 35 all week)

According to the calculator, I just need to add 224 ounces of bleach to get back up to a shock level of 16. Should I take my bioguard tabs out since I'm up to CYA of 50 now? I had been fighting algae in the past. With shocking all week, shouldn't I be holding the FC overnight by now? At first, I was only loosing about 3 ppm at night but last night there was a 6 ppm drop. What gives? Also, previously my shock goal was 14, but now it is 16. Is that because of the CYA level change? If it makes any difference, I run my filter 24/7 and always have since I opened it this spring. Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.