just started using BBB

If the tabs are trichlor, stop using them.

Refer to the CYA chart for the appropriate shock level. You are done shocking when:

You lose 1ppm or less of FC overnight;
your cc is .5 or less.

Since you had a 6ppm loss overnight, you need to keep it at shock level. Hourly testing and bleach additions will speed up the process. Allowing the FC to drop down in between prolongs the process.

Make sure you are doing the overnight test correctly - read the instructions in pool school.

so sorry about the new thread thing! I am trying to understand this whole process! Pool AND computer...it is quite the learning curve. I have read about the CYA and I'm quite confused. It is my understanding that CYA helps to 'protect' the chlorine from the sun. If this is the case, why, according to the school pool chart, does a higher CYA reading cause a higher effect shock level when it is supossed to be 'protecting' it. Please dumb this down for me.

thanks,

the cya binds to the chlorine, protecting it from the sun. however, the chlorine bound to the cya is unavailable to do its job which is to kill bad things. so the more cya, the more chlorine that is bound and unusable. thus, the more chlorine you need in there.
you need .1 ppm free chlorine, I believe, to do a good job. that chart takes into account the buffering effects of cya and gives the relationship between how much cya there is and how much measurable FC you need to make .1ppm fc available at all times.

Hmmm, that actually makes sense! Thank you so much for the explanation!

So, if I understand correctly, my test kits says a level of 30-50 is optimal. To raise the CYA level I use the stabilizer. But, once I get to 50, I don't use stabilizer because it is already in the water. I read where the pool calculator says the only way to decrease the stabilizer level is to drain some water and put in fresh water. Would it be true that the stabilizer level, once it reached 50 would pretty much stay at around 50 unless I needed to add water due to excessive splashing or evaporation?

I took out my floaty thingy with the tabs in it that keeps getting caught everywhere today because my CYA is at 50. Now, I just wait and see? Once it gets to 30, should I post my numbers and learn the 'sock' method of administering CYA? Is this kind of right?

I can not express how liberating it is to 'know' my water. What a headache I had had for the last three years with my pool. Sounds crazy but I really do sleep better knowing that I'm finally in charge!!!

thanks,

yes you're right. when it gets to 30, which could take a really long time, I would probably just put the pucks in there. 30 is a fine number. or if you don't want to deal with the floater you can buy some cya and dissolve it in.

Re: rain rain go away

I'm so aggravated! :grrrr: My water is finally clearing up, and my numbers were looking better. Now, the rain comes. Don't worry, I'm not giving up, but I do have a few questions.

Initially, I was checking my water about 4 times a day and adding bleach accordingly to get it to shock level. It has been 10 days now and my water is clear and I can see the bottom, but I still can't get the FC to hold overnight. I am following the directions exactly. Getting up at 5:30 (before sunrise) is difficult! Each morning it has dropped at least 3-4 ppm, so something must still be snacking on my chlorine.

1st, after reading several posts and seeing pictures, I wonder if I had yellow algae to start with. Each morning, there is a fine powdery yellow sediment. There isn't a ton of it, just a light dusting on the bottom. It is mostly noticeable when I brush it. If yellow algae is the case, I'm assuming that I wasn't shocking high enough but that my water is clear because I'm staying barely ahead of it. Unless advised otherwise, I will start shocking at mustard algae level.

2nd, due to the rain for the last three days, my CYA has dropped to 27 this morning. I do not wish to use my bioguard pucks anymore. I will go to the store today if someone can tell me what stabilizer is best. Can someone please tell me or refer me to the post that explains exactly how to add CYA. I am very apprehensive to mess with CYA. :?

Here are my numbers this morning:

FC 19 (down from 22 last last night)(my attempt at shocking at mustard level)
CC .5
TC 19.5
pH 7.6
T/A 170
CH 640
CYA 27
temp cold!

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I went back to find my post, and now I don't know if the prior post is in the right place. Please don't get angry. I'm finding it difficult to navigate this site. I tried to put it with my initial posts. I'll understand if it has to be merged, changed, or whatever. Please don't kick me out yet!

8corneflakes said:
I went back to find my post, and now I don't know if the prior post is in the right place. Please don't get angry. I'm finding it difficult to navigate this site. I tried to put it with my initial posts. I'll understand if it has to be merged, changed, or whatever. Please don't kick me out yet!

It's fine, you're all good... :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: rain rain go away

8corneflakes said:
I'm so aggravated! :grrrr: My water is finally clearing up, and my numbers were looking better. Now, the rain comes. Don't worry, I'm not giving up, but I do have a few questions.

Initially, I was checking my water about 4 times a day and adding bleach accordingly to get it to shock level. It has been 10 days now and my water is clear and I can see the bottom, but I still can't get the FC to hold overnight. I am following the directions exactly. Getting up at 5:30 (before sunrise) is difficult! Each morning it has dropped at least 3-4 ppm, so something must still be snacking on my chlorine.

1st, after reading several posts and seeing pictures, I wonder if I had yellow algae to start with. Each morning, there is a fine powdery yellow sediment. There isn't a ton of it, just a light dusting on the bottom. It is mostly noticeable when I brush it. If yellow algae is the case, I'm assuming that I wasn't shocking high enough but that my water is clear because I'm staying barely ahead of it. Unless advised otherwise, I will start shocking at mustard algae level.

2nd, due to the rain for the last three days, my CYA has dropped to 27 this morning. I do not wish to use my bioguard pucks anymore. I will go to the store today if someone can tell me what stabilizer is best. Can someone please tell me or refer me to the post that explains exactly how to add CYA. I am very apprehensive to mess with CYA. :?

Here are my numbers this morning:

FC 19 (down from 22 last last night)(my attempt at shocking at mustard level)
CC .5
TC 19.5
pH 7.6
T/A 170
CH 640
CYA 27
temp cold!

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

IF it was Mustard Algae, it will dissappear at (even) normal shock levels, only to reappear at the lower "normal" chlorine levels. What you are probably seeing is either dead algae, or pollen or dust. Is it dissapearing while at shock level? Or do you still see it?

I would shock to your "normal" shock level, keep doing it until your FC holds overnight, and make sure you are brushing the pool, all areas especially those with poor circulation, behind ladders, etc., anywhere where algae can hide, pool floats, etc. Once the FC holds overnight, let the FC drop back down to normal.

If it did dissappear overnight at this shock level, post back and let me know.

Walmart sells HTH or Aquachem brand stabilizer in 3-4 lb cannisters. If they don't have it you can try lowes, etc. or a pool store.

Just look for "---" % active ingredient Cyanuric Acid. Make sure it's at least like 90% though, there are some out there that are only 50%, half mixed with baking soda.

Edit: Oh yeah, you take your dose, "x" lbs, no more than 2 at a time, and put it in an old tube sock. Tie a knot at the top, then take some string, tie it on the knot, take the other end and tie it off to the return, so the sock dangles in front of the flow. Leave the filter running till it dissolves. 24 hours after it's dissolved, your "target" is your new CYA level, just assume that, but don't retest for 1 week, it takes that long to fully register.

okay, last night the yellow powder stuff was at the bottom. Wondering if it was mustard algae, I shocked it to 22, then brushed it in the dark after the kids went to bed...stupid daylight savings time. Didn't save me any time! This morning, the pool looks the best it has in three years. I can see the bottom and there is no powdery residue like there normally is. :whoot:
What do you think?

If there was no powdery residue this morning, there's a good chance it was mustard algae. I would keep it up to "normal" shock level again today and tonight, and do an overnight loss test again tonight. maintain "normal" shock level until you have no overnight loss. Do the brushing thing I mentioned before today, and each day you are maintaining shock level. Treat all toys, floats, etc. but putting them in the pool while at shock level. Look for little crevices/nooks where algae can be hiding.

Wash all your swimsuits and towels in hot sudsy water and dry thoroughly.

Once the FC holds overnight, take it back up to Mustard Algae shock level for another day or so. Then run with a slightly elevated "min" chlorine level for a month, to keep it from returning.

Refer to this CYA chart, which gives MA "min" levels.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/chlorine-cya-chart-t2346.html

Good new! Today I watched the kids swim...UNDERWATER :-D

these are my latest results at 10 pm:

FC 22
cc .5
TC you do the math!
TA 170
pH 7.5
CYA was at 27. I added the stabilizer yesterday and it is almost gone.

Water is clear, but still struggling to keep FC overnight.

Now, since I shouldn't retest CYA for a week, I'm assuming that I just use my target CYA number (40) in the pool calculator?

I would like to know if I should be doing something about my TA yet or wait until I get the FC to hold after battling the algae.

I love my pool again :!:

8corneflakes said:
Good new! Today I watched the kids swim...UNDERWATER :-D

That is good news! :whoot:

these are my latest results at 10 pm:

FC 22
cc .5
TC you do the math!
TA 170
pH 7.5
CYA was at 27. I added the stabilizer yesterday and it is almost gone.

Water is clear, but still struggling to keep FC overnight.

Now, since I shouldn't retest CYA for a week, I'm assuming that I just use my target CYA number (40) in the pool calculator?
Yes, you are correct.

I would like to know if I should be doing something about my TA yet or wait until I get the FC to hold after battling the algae.
Your TA is fine. If you should have problems in the future battling constant pH rise, then we can help you lower it. Otherwise, it is a non-issue. :)

I love my pool again :!:
That's wonderful and we are happy for you and your kids!

I have been shocking my pool since July 13. That is 16 days so far and my FC is still not holding overnight. My water is crystal clear, even sparkling, but the FC is tripping me up. I took my ladder out three days ago to find a grayish yellow caked on something on the back of it. I scrapped it all off and scrubbed it with bleach. I put the ladder back in. I had been shocking to Mustard algae level. I'm losing at least 3-4 ppm every night. I have been adding the bleach to shock level nightly around 9:45, then retesting about 40 minutes later. I brush the pool daily and I am doing the FC overnight test exactly according to directions. I shocked all the pool toys and washed all pool related clothing and towels. I am not even loosing this many ppm during the day. Hmmm? Any suggestions on what is happening? Here are my numbers this morning.

FC 23 (dropped 5 ppm in the night.
CC less than .5
pH 7.5
T/A 190
CH 640
CYA 45

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.