Fertilizers and pool stains

anonapersona

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
After some reading around the forum, I'm beginning to realize that a lot of the yard chemicals I use all the time are likely to cause problems if they get into the pool.

Iron (azalea fertilizers, grass fertilizer) -- pretty sure this is a big issue even in small doses
Manganese (palm fertilizers) -- is this a problem?
Magnesium (epsom salts for most plants here) -- is this a problem? Might be what made my CH test go weird or maybe I was just sloppy.

I realize that fertilizers in general are going to feed algae in a pool but it seems that metals are a whole nuther issue as far as staining. Are there any others I need to be concerned about?

Plus, I am pretty sure that there is nothing that I can use near the pool for scale and other pests on my plants near the pool. Does anyone have any advice on plant care near pools? I've found 20% vinegar for killing weeds, but it is dreadfully expensive. I can use DE for slugs and snails. I've read about dabbing scale with alcohol but that seems pretty time consuming for these large plants.

One day I'll figure out how to post a photo of this tropical jungle around my pool.

anonapersona said:
After some reading around the forum, I'm beginning to realize that a lot of the yard chemicals I use all the time are likely to cause problems if they get into the pool.

Iron (azalea fertilizers, grass fertilizer) -- pretty sure this is a big issue even in small doses
Manganese (palm fertilizers) -- is this a problem?
Both of these can cause staining and colored water if they get in the pool
Magnesium (epsom salts for most plants here) -- is this a problem?
Not really, in fact there are some pool additives that are basically magnesium salts to help prevent scale since magnesium scale is very soft and rinses away.
If you perform the CH test properly, like I said in the other thread,
strange-blobs-in-ch-test-vial-t15297.html
then you will have NO problems! :wink:

Might be what made my CH test go weird or maybe I was just sloppy.
Sloppy!
I realize that fertilizers in general are going to feed algae in a pool but it seems that metals are a whole nuther issue as far as staining. Are there any others I need to be concerned about?
Copper

Waterbear, I just love you man! Thanks so much for the answers. Particularly about magnesium as I am using that near the pool a lot. I will try to use the epsom salts instead of the palm ferts where possible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.