I keep adding borax every couple of days.

Lazyman

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 25, 2009
NJ
10-12 oz every time. Is this normal? I'm going by pool calc numbers.

My ph seems to stay on the low side. I think it is from my swg not producing chlorine regularly. I think it makes too much, then I have to shuit it down for a while so the Fc levels go back down. During this time, the borax is needed. That is my guess, at least.

Here's a sample test result.

FC 4.5
TA 90
CYA <40
CH 90-100
PH 7.35
Salt 3100

My swg system does a good job lowering ph when needed, but like I mentioned above, it doesn't need it that often.

The 4.5 FC is on it's way down from 6.5

Hmm, after reading this post, it seems not just a borax question. Not sure where to put this question.

Either way, I'm running out of borax! lol

waterbear said:
If your pH is too low and your FC is to high then your total control system is not correctly set up.

I'm sure you are right, but does one issue go hand in hand with the other? Technically. the ph gets low when the system does not produce chlorine for a full day or so. I'm having to shut it down somewhat because FC levels get too high. When fc levels are high, the ph levels are good because the system adds the muriatic acid when needed. It is only when the FC levels are low, that the ph seems to drop and I have to add borax.

I'm actually still trying to adjust orp levels (yes, a futile effort!) on the system. So do I have to live with the adding borax until/if I ever get it fixed? Why does ph go down so fast? We have one adult and two kids swimming every day or other day for a few hours each time. Pump on low speed 24/7 at this point while adjusting orp levels. No aeration of any kind really, other than swimming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.