How do you do the sodium percarbonate conversion?

Jun 20, 2009
Middle Tennessee
How do you do the sodium percarbonate conversion? This is our first year with our pool and I chose BQ because I was scared of all the chemical stuff and constant care that I thought chlorine would take. A month and a half into this Crud and I have spent over $500 bucks. The amount the pool store told me it would cost for the whole season was $300 and we have 2 months to go at this point :rant: My water is cloudy and I can't get the freaking oxidizer level to come up at all. I have added 2 gallons Thu night and another gallon about 2 hours ago and my stupid little strips still say I don't have any in there. I don't want to go broke and I am.
I have a 27' x 54" circular AG which I think makes it about 17,500 gallons. I also have 3 small girls aged 2, 4, and 6 so chemicals freak me out anyway. I don't even keep much more than baking soda and vinegar in my home to clean with.
I didn't mean to hijack this post but I was curious about the SP stuff. I've seen some posts that say it took like 50 gallons of bleach to convert and days to do it in. I don't have enough room to store that much bleach and I'm pretty sure I would buy out every store in my little town if I have to have that much. If this post needs to be moved, I'm sorry :oops:

Hi and welcome to TFP,
I used sodium percarbonate and I'm glad I did because the conversion went faster than with just bleach. I did end up having to use bleach at the end (I should have ordered more sodium percarbonate, but I only had to use about 12 jugs of bleach. If you private message me your email address, I have the instructions that were sent to me, if you want them.

Also, I would highly recommend getting a good testkit before you start the conversion. I got the TF100 and I think it's a great testkit.

Just keep in mind that the sodium percarbonate instructions don't quite finish the job. It is best, when you get to step 5 in those instructions, to switch to a bleach conversion (as described at Pool School) to finish things up. Also, keep in mind that while sodium percarbonate is normally faster, it usually ends up being more expensive that the bleach you would have used to do the same thing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.