Aug 8, 2007
Spain
Yellow swimwear!

The rental guests currently staying at our villa are complaining that the poolwater is turning their white swimwear yellow!

I've never come accross this before! The chemical levels are checked every three days and are as they should be.

Can anyone suggest why this may be happening?

Merged topics. Butterfly

Sorry, just seen the thread stating what info I should have posted.

The pool is in Spain so it's a hot, dry climate. It's a tiled, in ground pool, 8x10 meters. I have no idea how many gallons of water are in it.

The people looking after the pool check the measurements so I don't know what they are either! My husband double checks them using a digital test kit and he says they are accurate. That's all I know.

The water has been looking clear until yesterday when it just started to cloud very slightly. Husband put some floc in last night, hoovered today and it is looking fine again.

The guests complained before the floc went in, so it shouldn't be that.

Without posting a complete set of test results, we would simply be wildly guessing at your issue. Post results for FC. TC. pH, CH, and CYA and you'll get some great advice.

FWIW, chemical levels are not fine if white swimsuits are turning yellow.

I would guess someone is using an algaecide product, or an ionizer product? Or tablets containing copper?

Also, if they used the spray-on type sunscreens - those tend to have a reaction with chlorine turning the white areas yellow-green.

As Dave said, we need a full set of numbers to help you. Please post them! :cool:

it's really hard to do anything without them. is there any way you can get them from a pool store? personally I would highly recommend you get the test kit from www.tftestkits.net and take control of the pool yourself. it sounds like you're going to have to do something with those kind of complaints, and that test kit is your best option long term, but short term some test results from a pool company would at least help. does the pool have any kind of bad smell?

The pool looks perfect and doesn't smell. I just wondered if it was something common and easily identified.

We use a digital test kit that was bought last year (new test strips this year) and my son uses the same test kit for a pool that he looks after. Both the people who look after the pool and my husband who tested it yesterday and Thursday have said the readings are normal.

I think it could just be to do with white fabric and strong sunlight! I have noticed that somethimes my white washing gets a line of yellow discolouration where it hangs over the line in strong sunlight. I've also noticed a lot of yellow stains on white towels which I can only assume comes from suncreams. I use white vinegar to remove these so have suggested to the guests that they try this on their swim wear.

Thank you for trying to help.

Is there any way you can dip a clean, empty plastic bottle into the pool, collect some water and take it to a pool store to test the water? Once the pool store gives you the results, come back and post them here.

Testing every 3 days is stretching it! The pool <a public one especially> should be tested daily because it's serving the public/guest/swimmer/s in some way.

We will need:

FC
CC
TC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

It is our only way in helping you and I'm being sincere. Saying the pool results are normal doen't help us help you. In fact, they could not be normal at all. We won't know unless you post the results. :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.