Why is the pressure too high?

Jul 10, 2009
Long Island, NY
OK, so many questions...

My filter is running at 30 psi after a good clean backwash, which is higher than it usually is.

Also, it is leaking a trickle around the multi-port.

I just opened and the water is murky. I also am replacing the pump this week because the shaft and bearings are rusted to heck.

Any ideas about the pressure?

High pressure (and that is high) is a resultof a restriction somewhere on the pressure side of your sytem. The pressure side is from the pump to the returns........something is blocking flow along that path. The other possibilty is your pressure guage is faulty? Does it go to zero when you turn the pump off?

Then there is a partial blockage on the pressure side. You most likely getting reduced flow into your pool. If the flow is not pretty dramatically reduced, then I would still suspect the guage.

Thanks.

To be clear, where can I look for a blockage? I have the intake/ basket/ impeller on the pump (all clear) and the hose to the multi port (also clear).

Where else might I look?

It can't be the filter sand or anything in the filter itself?

A quick check would be to turn off your pump, take off the gauge, then turn on the pump with your finger over the hole. Ten lbs should be fairly easy to stop with your thumb. (Push down on your bathroom scale till it reads 30, that would well enough approximate 30 on your gauge)

If you suspect the gauge go to the local pool store that carries gauges, and buy a new one. (~$15) Install the new one and check the pressure - if it reads the same as your current gauge, return it, or keep it as a backup.

Last Autumn, when I closed our pool I left the gauge on. It didn't survive the Winter too well - now it read 30 at rest, 40 with the pump on. Scared the cr@p outta me first time I saw 40. :shock: (filter's only rated for 50)

Did you happen to notice the pressure before that good clean backwash?
Personally, if I thought that the gauge was working (since it returns to zero when off) and I had recently seen lower pressures before now, I'd certainly try another backwash. If that didn't drop the pressure, I'd probably start looking for other readily visable obstructions, try a new gauge, and finally to open the filter to check the innards.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.