Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 3 Prong or Twist Plug?

1. Back To Top    #1

3 Prong or Twist Plug?

OK, so the dead pump is being replaced. I got a deal on its replacement but it is not the same plug. I have a TWIST outlet, but the new pump has a 3-prong plug.

Should I change out the PLUG or change out the OUTLET?
    12'x24' Oval Above Ground (Partially Buried)- 7000 gallons (est.)

SwimPro Sand Filter

Current pump: Hayward, 1.5 HP, SF 1, 15 amp (soon to be replaced)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 3 Prong or Twist Plug?

Welcome to TFP!!

Do the plug - you can do it yourself, it's easy All you need to do is connect the black wire to the brass screw, the white wire to the silver screw and the green wire to the green screw. Of course you need to know how to strip wire to do this, but it's still easy

Go put the twist plug on and start circulating the water - if you can't get the plug today or don't feel comfortable putting it on, you can always just run an extension cord to the pump for now
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I would put on a twist plug unless the cord is a tripping hazard. I like how they lock into place and I've never seen scorched twist plugs
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

4. Back To Top    #4

A twist lock plug is often required by code.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    A twist lock plug is often required by code.

He is 100000 % Correct.. NEC clearly states that a pool pump must be of locking type plug and receptacle..
    17000 Gallons (16x32) Vinyl In Ground Pool
    Sand Filter
    Install "Finish Date" July 30 2014"
    Propane heater installed.. Used for 1 day.
    City Water.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the tips.

If a twist-type is required by code, why is Hayward selling me a blade-style plug?
    12'x24' Oval Above Ground (Partially Buried)- 7000 gallons (est.)

SwimPro Sand Filter

Current pump: Hayward, 1.5 HP, SF 1, 15 amp (soon to be replaced)

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by antipode
    Thanks for the tips.

If a twist-type is required by code, why is Hayward selling me a blade-style plug?
    I don't have the NEC code here with me but I do have our local requirements since I'm doing some new wiring. They follow the NEC 2005 and will be upgrading to NEC 2008.

Usually a twist-lock plug is required (When pump is located between 5' and 10 feet of the pool). It really (obviously) should not be installed closer than 5' but if the receptacle is 10' or more away from the pool, the pump can be direct wired (or a regular blade type plug can be used if I'm not mistaken. (such as an inground pool for example where the pump and power source for the pump may be quite a distance away from the pool). - Of course, a GFI Breaker is required as well.

It's my understanding that the twist lock is required within the 5' - 10" distance. For almost any above ground pool for example, a twist lock would usually be needed.

That being said, even if my power source was 25 feet away from my pool, I would still choose the twist lock plug if I was not wired direct. They are great. They don't work loose and "scortch" as stated above. I think they are a great idea and a great safety feature.
    33'x15' x 52" Aqualeader
    Gallons ? - (I use appx 13,500 to calculate "stuff")
    33 x 15 x 4.3 x 5.9 = 12,558. or . . The Pool Calculator = 14,400
    Hayward S-166T 100Lb Sand Filter - Hayward Power-Flo LX 1HP Pump
    Intex S.W.G.

8. Back To Top    #8

Just checking back in... in CT you are allowed to 'temp" wire anything as long as it's for less than 6 mos. This includes holiday lighting and pools. As our pool season is less than 6 months, it's kosher to have a regular plug on a pool
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

9. Back To Top    #9

I'll chime in here as well. Our local electrical inspector passed my duplex outlet, didn't say a word about twist-lock plugs.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

10. Back To Top    #10

The rules vary from place to place and in different situations. The NEC code is clear about requiring either twist lock or hard wired for permanent installs, and many places follow NEC on this. Temporary installs don't require twist lock, but what is called permanent and what is called temporary varies quite a bit from place to place. And some places don't require following NEC code at all (though it is still a good idea in any case).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    The rules vary from place to place and in different situations. The NEC code is clear about requiring either twist lock or hard wired for permanent installs, and many places follow NEC on this. Temporary installs don't require twist lock, but what is called permanent and what is called temporary varies quite a bit from place to place. And some places don't require following NEC code at all (though it is still a good idea in any case).
    In our area above ground pools of any type might be considered temporary. They are not considered a permanent part of your property like an in-ground and even have their own sales tax codes
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

12. Back To Top    #12

I am facing this issue as well. Bought a new Hayward Matrix Superflo (1.5hp) pump for my Aboe Ground pool. Was thrown for a loop when I went to plug it in and it had a standard three prong plug, like an indoor lamp. My old pump used a twist lock so I wanted to swap the plugs from the old pump. Had two questions:

1. Are there any voltage considerations I need to look into? the pump is 120v and the standard plug is 120v. does swapping o the twist plug call anything into question.
    2. Any guidance on where to buy a twist plug? Id assume I'd want it with a cord. I could take it from the old pump but might be better off with everything new.

Thanks in advance!
    -AG round Vinyl, roughly 27'x4.5' = 18,000 gallons
    -Hayward S180T Sand Filter
    -1.5 HP pump
    -1 skimmer and 1 drain in bottom center feeding pump/filter to one return

13. Back To Top    #13

There are twist versions of most straight plugs, so it could be 120V, 240V or even 120/240V 4 wire
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

14. Back To Top    #14

No No a thousand times NO

You don't take the cord off a piece of equipment and replace it with another one. The manufacturer put it there for a reason. Post a picture of your outlet. What is the breaker for this outlet. Or ake a picture of the outlet to HD or Lowes and have them matich up and tell you what it is for. I suspect its just 120 twist lock.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

15. Back To Top    #15

Yup, Gordon hit the nail on the head. All electrical products sold pass certification from Independant labs indicating they are built correctly to specific standards. Most people know this as UL listings, but there are other labs. Once you modify the product it looses its certification.

It may seem minor, or even insignificant, but should there be a fire/accident insurance companies can get very picky about little details like this.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

16. Back To Top    #16

The odd point here is that the Hayward owners manual says these pumps are only sold with hard wired option or 3 ft twist lock, and only the 3 ft twistlock is UL Listed. So I have to wonder if maybe this pump was bought online and built for the international market, etc.

Ike

p.s. what exact model do you have, looking it up again it looks like the Superflo is a Pentair not a Hayward pump
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~