The Green Pool

Apr 14, 2008
North Carolina
I don't have one of the recommended testers so I have to use the Wal-Mart tester and the local pool store. I know, I know, by the good tester but waiting on funding.

I have been dumping bleach like there is no tomorrow with no luck at all, so please HELP.

CYA 28
FC >5
CC ?
PH 7.5

Well, lets round up and call your CYA 30, and that your shock level is 12. YOu need to add enough bleach to reach 12. (You'll have to dilute your water sample 50/50 with distilled water to see if you're getting close to that level with your OTO chlorine test.)

So you add x number of jugs. You wait 30 minutes, your chlorine is only up to 6. You add more bleach, again trying to reach 12.... you wait another 30 minutes you test, you're chlorine is at 8....and so on....you need to keep adding bleach until your reach 12 and then hold it there, with frequent bleach additions, testing hourly and adding bleach each time to hold the shock level until the pool clears. You don't want to let the chlorine drop in between.

Do you know how to use the Pool Calculator to determine how much bleach to add each time, to reach 12?

Remember to run your filter 24/7. Is there any organic crud at the bottom, like leaves...etc.?

UGOWEGO said:
Alright the pool has finally lost the green but is now cloudy. Do I continue to monitor the chlorine level and keep an eye on the filter or what?

Kids want to swim...

Please do NOT let the children swim in a cloudy pool! If one would go under, it would be next to impossible to find them before it's to late!

My kids are soon to be 14 and 12 and good swimmers and I would never allow them into a pool, even if they could stand, if it were green or cloudy. The fear just goes right through me of what could happen in a split second. :shock:

Continue shocking. :whip:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.