replacement motor bearings for A.O. Smith

spriteman

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2008
central Florida
returned from 1 week vacation to a screeching pump motor - not horrific, but I wouldn't want to spend several hours out on the patio having to listen to it. thought, "great another $200+ for a new motor". looked in my records and saw that the motor is only 4 years old. I figure it should last longer than that -- it's a one-speed, but we only run it 8-10 hours a day.

I'm not 100% sure it's one of the bearings, but it sure sounds like it. the noise is coming from the non-shaft end of the motor and there's nothing on that end that's in motion except the bearing.

I want to make sure I'm ordering the correct bearings before I disassemble everything. poolcenter.com has what I want -- I think.

http://secure.poolcenter.com/prodinfo.asp?number=6304LL
a 2" OD bearing

my motor is an A. O. Smith 48Y frame with the square flange, 1.5 HP, 1-speed, service factor=1.1, 220 v

is the above listed bearing the one I need? I figure I'll order the Go-Kit and the 2 bearings. any advice swapping out the beaings? any "gotchas" out there I should know about? thanks.

X-PertPool said:
for how much you are going to pay for that bearing + shipping if you paid a little more you could have a motor shop do it for you don't forget you need a bearing puller.
true, I expect the bearings delivered will be in the $40 range. my neighbor has a bearing puller -- he doesn't know yet that I'm going to be borrowing it :lol: I like to try things at least once and am somewhat mechanically inclined, so I thought I would give it a shot -- maybe I'll post pictures of the process for others to use as motivation to DIY!

spriteman said:
X-PertPool said:
for how much you are going to pay for that bearing + shipping if you paid a little more you could have a motor shop do it for you don't forget you need a bearing puller.
true, I expect the bearings delivered will be in the $40 range. my neighbor has a bearing puller -- he doesn't know yet that I'm going to be borrowing it :lol: I like to try things at least once and am somewhat mechanically inclined, so I thought I would give it a shot -- maybe I'll post pictures of the process for others to use as motivation to DIY!

Don't forget if you pay someone else to do it there is someone to blame if it doesn't work :)

Please do post photo's.
I just went through putting in a new motor, because I wasn't 100% confident I'd be able to pull off the bearing job. If there would have been any problems I would have kicked myself, so instead I went for the new Motor. But I love to "learn from others mistakes" :wink: So you might just convince me that next time I want to DIY.

Thanks

MJCP said:
Please do post photo's.
I just went through putting in a new motor, because I wasn't 100% confident I'd be able to pull off the bearing job. If there would have been any problems I would have kicked myself, so instead I went for the new Motor. But I love to "learn from others mistakes" :wink: So you might just convince me that next time I want to DIY.
did you keep the old motor? if so, go ahead and order the bearings and attempt to swap them out. worst case, you'll be out the cost of the bearings. best case -- you have a motor ready to go as a spare and you gain the experience of DIY (plus, you can take your time :-D )

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
spriteman said:
did you keep the old motor? if so, go ahead and order the bearings and attempt to swap them out. worst case, you'll be out the cost of the bearings. best case -- you have a motor ready to go as a spare and you gain the experience of DIY (plus, you can take your time :-D )

YES!!!!
My wife has been on me for two weeks to throw it out, but I just put it in the pool shed,
Now I can tell her - "YOUR" idea and say YOU said I should keep it!!!
I love a reason to keep STUFF!

If you have a bearing place close (motion industries, etc.) or even an auto parts place you should be able to pick up those for a song. Just call them and tell them you need sealed 6304's. The real number is 6304-2RS. They're about $5 a piece and if you pick them up locally there's no shipping.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.