Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: replacement motor bearings for A.O. Smith

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    central Florida
    Posts
    23

    replacement motor bearings for A.O. Smith

    returned from 1 week vacation to a screeching pump motor - not horrific, but I wouldn't want to spend several hours out on the patio having to listen to it. thought, "great another $200+ for a new motor". looked in my records and saw that the motor is only 4 years old. I figure it should last longer than that -- it's a one-speed, but we only run it 8-10 hours a day.

    I'm not 100% sure it's one of the bearings, but it sure sounds like it. the noise is coming from the non-shaft end of the motor and there's nothing on that end that's in motion except the bearing.

    I want to make sure I'm ordering the correct bearings before I disassemble everything. poolcenter.com has what I want -- I think.

    http://secure.poolcenter.com/prodinfo.asp?number=6304LL
    a 2" OD bearing

    my motor is an A. O. Smith 48Y frame with the square flange, 1.5 HP, 1-speed, service factor=1.1, 220 v

    is the above listed bearing the one I need? I figure I'll order the Go-Kit and the 2 bearings. any advice swapping out the beaings? any "gotchas" out there I should know about? thanks.
    12K gal PebbleTec, 1.5 HP 1-spd P2RA series Sta-Rite pump, Hayward cart filter, Pool Pilot SWG, spillway, no heater, sunny, Taylor K-2006 test kit.

  2. #2
    Senior Member X-PertPool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Exeter, PA
    Posts
    1,352

    Re: replacement motor bearings for A.O. Smith

    for how much you are going to pay for that bearing + shipping if you paid a little more you could have a motor shop do it for you don't forget you need a bearing puller.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

  3. #3
    Guest

    Re: replacement motor bearings for A.O. Smith

    Unless Aladdin had changed their packaging the GoKits include the bearings.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    central Florida
    Posts
    23

    Re: replacement motor bearings for A.O. Smith

    Quote Originally Posted by X-PertPool
    for how much you are going to pay for that bearing + shipping if you paid a little more you could have a motor shop do it for you don't forget you need a bearing puller.
    true, I expect the bearings delivered will be in the $40 range. my neighbor has a bearing puller -- he doesn't know yet that I'm going to be borrowing it I like to try things at least once and am somewhat mechanically inclined, so I thought I would give it a shot -- maybe I'll post pictures of the process for others to use as motivation to DIY!
    12K gal PebbleTec, 1.5 HP 1-spd P2RA series Sta-Rite pump, Hayward cart filter, Pool Pilot SWG, spillway, no heater, sunny, Taylor K-2006 test kit.

  5. #5
    Guest

    Re: replacement motor bearings for A.O. Smith

    I just had mine replaced by a shop. It was about $90, and I had it back in 3 hours! Well worth it to me.

    Sue

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    central Florida
    Posts
    23

    Re: replacement motor bearings for A.O. Smith

    Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    Unless Aladdin had changed their packaging the GoKits include the bearings.
    the Aladdin gokits on poolcenter.com don't include the bearings. is there a better source for the gokits?
    http://www.poolcenter.com/service_re...epair_kits.htm
    12K gal PebbleTec, 1.5 HP 1-spd P2RA series Sta-Rite pump, Hayward cart filter, Pool Pilot SWG, spillway, no heater, sunny, Taylor K-2006 test kit.

  7. #7
    Senior Member X-PertPool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Exeter, PA
    Posts
    1,352

    Re: replacement motor bearings for A.O. Smith

    Quote Originally Posted by spriteman
    Quote Originally Posted by X-PertPool
    for how much you are going to pay for that bearing + shipping if you paid a little more you could have a motor shop do it for you don't forget you need a bearing puller.
    true, I expect the bearings delivered will be in the $40 range. my neighbor has a bearing puller -- he doesn't know yet that I'm going to be borrowing it I like to try things at least once and am somewhat mechanically inclined, so I thought I would give it a shot -- maybe I'll post pictures of the process for others to use as motivation to DIY!
    Don't forget if you pay someone else to do it there is someone to blame if it doesn't work
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

  8. #8
    Guest

    Re: replacement motor bearings for A.O. Smith

    Quote Originally Posted by spriteman
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    Unless Aladdin had changed their packaging the GoKits include the bearings.
    the Aladdin gokits on poolcenter.com don't include the bearings. is there a better source for the gokits?
    http://www.poolcenter.com/service_re...epair_kits.htm
    My mistake, I haven't looked at the Aladdin catalog in a while. The go kits contain seals but no bearings.

  9. #9
    Senior Member MJCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    114

    Re: replacement motor bearings for A.O. Smith

    Please do post photo's.
    I just went through putting in a new motor, because I wasn't 100% confident I'd be able to pull off the bearing job. If there would have been any problems I would have kicked myself, so instead I went for the new Motor. But I love to "learn from others mistakes" So you might just convince me that next time I want to DIY.

    Thanks
    15x32 Lazy L Inground - 25,000 US Gal 1979 build
    1.5Hp/ Sand Filter
    Painted cement finish repainted 2011
    BROMINE - (Purchased Home that way) Bleach shock
    325,000 btu gas BOILER - I mean Heater.
    5th season with Pool

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    central Florida
    Posts
    23

    Re: replacement motor bearings for A.O. Smith

    Quote Originally Posted by MJCP
    Please do post photo's.
    I just went through putting in a new motor, because I wasn't 100% confident I'd be able to pull off the bearing job. If there would have been any problems I would have kicked myself, so instead I went for the new Motor. But I love to "learn from others mistakes" So you might just convince me that next time I want to DIY.
    did you keep the old motor? if so, go ahead and order the bearings and attempt to swap them out. worst case, you'll be out the cost of the bearings. best case -- you have a motor ready to go as a spare and you gain the experience of DIY (plus, you can take your time )
    12K gal PebbleTec, 1.5 HP 1-spd P2RA series Sta-Rite pump, Hayward cart filter, Pool Pilot SWG, spillway, no heater, sunny, Taylor K-2006 test kit.

  11. #11
    Senior Member launboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    S.E. Wisconsin
    Posts
    578

    Re: replacement motor bearings for A.O. Smith

    Call around to motor shops. We called a REAL small place here and the guy did the bearings while we were there. Took him maybe 1/2hr and he only charged $25.00.

    Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

  12. #12
    Senior Member MJCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    114

    Re: replacement motor bearings for A.O. Smith

    Quote Originally Posted by spriteman
    did you keep the old motor? if so, go ahead and order the bearings and attempt to swap them out. worst case, you'll be out the cost of the bearings. best case -- you have a motor ready to go as a spare and you gain the experience of DIY (plus, you can take your time )
    YES!!!!
    My wife has been on me for two weeks to throw it out, but I just put it in the pool shed,
    Now I can tell her - "YOUR" idea and say YOU said I should keep it!!!
    I love a reason to keep STUFF!
    15x32 Lazy L Inground - 25,000 US Gal 1979 build
    1.5Hp/ Sand Filter
    Painted cement finish repainted 2011
    BROMINE - (Purchased Home that way) Bleach shock
    325,000 btu gas BOILER - I mean Heater.
    5th season with Pool

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    central Florida
    Posts
    23

    Re: replacement motor bearings for A.O. Smith

    hey I'm in the dog house enough as it is -- now your wife will be on my case too?! aaahhhhhhhh!!
    12K gal PebbleTec, 1.5 HP 1-spd P2RA series Sta-Rite pump, Hayward cart filter, Pool Pilot SWG, spillway, no heater, sunny, Taylor K-2006 test kit.

  14. #14
    Mod Squad Bama Rambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SouthWest Alabama
    Posts
    20,592

    Re: replacement motor bearings for A.O. Smith

    If you have a bearing place close (motion industries, etc.) or even an auto parts place you should be able to pick up those for a song. Just call them and tell them you need sealed 6304's. The real number is 6304-2RS. They're about $5 a piece and if you pick them up locally there's no shipping.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •