Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Automatic vac plate skim/vac

Automatic vac plate skim/vac

Does anyone have a Hayward automatic vac plate Part # W491R?

How well does it work? My pool gets a lot of debris that need to be vacuumed up by my Arneson (Hayward) Pool suction vac but also gets a lot of floating debris that require a skimmer.

This device seems like the perfect solution and costs $80 to 100. But does anyone have a review on how well it works? I can set my timer to cycle twice a day so this device can skim and vac on the same day.

Pentair also makes one that has a built in weir but it doesn't switch between skim and vac it only splits both.

Re: Automatic vac plate skim/vac

Bump

I'd like to know too. I've just ordered the Tracker 4x (vacuum), and large in-line leaf catcher to add to my arsenal of cleaners, hoping it will do a better job on the extremely fine silt that goes through stocking liner in Polaris 280 and clogs up the Vero's (Aquabot Turbo T-Jet) fine bag too quickly. I have good strong suction in my skimmer even with the main drain, which is separate, wide open. So this device might be a great addition.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

Re: Automatic vac plate skim/vac

I've had one for about two years. It works pretty good; the vacuum gage on it went out about a year ago, and it is important that when you install or reinstall it, that it sits squarely on top of the leaf basket in the skimmer, otherwise water will be sucked in under the plate and give you a low suction at the vacuum. I also had to put silicone around the bottom of the pressure relief valve as water was being sucked in there, too. I used drops of red or green pool test bottles while it was running to find leaks. I also added a "O" ring where the hose connects to the plate to minimize leaks. But it is nice to be able to alternate between skimming and vacuuming each day; I also saw a suggestion once that suggested putting additional nubs on the timer so that it will vacuum in the morning and skim in the afternoon.
    18k gallon in ground plaster with attached spa
    Pentair CCP 320 cartridge filter
    Goldline Aqua Rite SWG
    IntelliFlo VS pump
    Teledyne Laars ESC heater
    Hayward Pool Vac Ultra cleaner w/ skimmer Vac Plate and inline leaf basket
    Palm Springs, CA