Newbie needs pump help

Jul 10, 2009
Long Island, NY
Just opened the pool for the season and the pump made a high pitch noise, did nothing, and then smoked. Then, it was silent.

OK, so:
A) it's dead, right?

B) how long should a pump last?

C) how much should I spend for a new pump for a 12x24 above ground pool?

A) The motor is likely dead. Not the pump. Check circuit for juice first.

B) Mine lasted 6 years. At least 2 with the seal between the pump and the motor leaking. I bet that caused it to fail. :roll:

C) I could have got a reman motor for my Hayward northstar from a place in Phoenix AZ for about a C note. Found them searching motors on ebay. If you are handy and not afraid to mess with your pump, then look into replacing the motor. (with a new seal of course) Get the numbers off the old pump and start searching the net. The search may get you a deal on a complete unit as well.

Sounds like there was a leak that let water get inside the pump and the bearings have frozen. Sometimes this can be repaired with new bearings at a machine shop (sometimes even the local pool store can do this), but you will also need to find the source of the leak (tiny cracks in the wet end of the pump can be hard to spot).

Pumps can last for years, but a leak will quickly kill them.

Depending on the price and the age, sometimes it's just better/nicer to replace the motor and wet end together, if it's a relatively new pump, you might want to try to get it checked and keep the current wet end (if there is no leak!). Just depends on the damage and what you want to spend.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.