Sunheater or Sungrabber?

lborne said:
I'm looking for some low cost solar panels. Both Sungrabber and Sunheater are about $200 on the internet per two, 2' x 20' panels. Any differences?

I got the Fafco Solarbear heating system...it is a single piece 4X20 solar panel...no plumbing panel to panel to pool...just panel to pool and about 20 minutes of set up and istallation. I paid $280 for mine and no sales tax...out of a pool place in Florida
aquasuperstore.com

http://www.aquasuperstore.com/products/ ... ~3664.html

They are only $242 right now with $35 shipping...no tax because it is in florida...That is about 20 less then what I paid for mine in May. I'd go for it.

Panels work great for us and have for many years. The Fafco Sunbears do work the best so far for quality in our experience. We used the Sunheaters and Sungrabbers in the past. The Fafcos are better quality and as stated before 4x20 so less panels to install.

My Solar Bear heats six to eight degrees in one day depending on the situation. I think it does so because of the 20 X 4 length and width...more sun hitting more area. This little thing doesn't have as much area to hit and thus doesn't heat so fast. For a 24 foot pool, I have mine on the side away from my house I cannot see it from my house...My neighbors probabaly think it is a monstrosity but it it certainly works.

cubbybeave08 said:
They work the same as the sungrabber or sun heater panels...They can be plumbed to run into your pools plumbing system...and could be mounted on a roof somewhere if needed.

Can someone please explain how easy or difficult this is? I'd like to hear from anyone who has used these for an inground pool and what mods you had to do to plumb it. I will need two of the 4'x20' panels. Can they be mated together?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
lborne said:
cubbybeave08 said:
They work the same as the sungrabber or sun heater panels...They can be plumbed to run into your pools plumbing system...and could be mounted on a roof somewhere if needed.

Can someone please explain how easy or difficult this is? I'd like to hear from anyone who has used these for an inground pool and what mods you had to do to plumb it. I will need two of the 4'x20' panels. Can they be mated together?

I have an above ground pool and yes your two pannels can be mated. It is as simple as connecting them...I think FAFCO actually sells a connecting kit. All you really do is run one end from the outlet line of the filter ( the line that runs to the return jet) to the lower end of the SolarBear panel. Then run a hose from the top end of the panel to the return jet. This completes the cycle. When the valves are shut off the water runs straight up the pipe and into the pool...when it is turned on the valve inside the Solar Bear actually blocks off the flow up the pipe and diverts it through the panels. This causes the water to pick up the heat from the panels and out into your pool...It took me about 1/2 an hour to hook mine up to my pool. For an inground pool it might be a little more complicated but you might want to see the thread below

adding-solar-bear-panels-to-our-agp-the-process-with-pics-t11410.html
This might help you to atleast see how it might work with an inground pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.