Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do I lower my CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

New Jersey

How do I lower my CYA

Pool water is great now except for a CYA level of 100, it is 33K gallons , can I top it off with fresh water till the top of of the pool . that would give me about 6-7 inches of fresh water , and then wait a couple of hours for it to circulate then pump out till bottom of skimmer and then refill, if I do that a few times will I eventually get the CYA level down ?? I don't want the watrer to drop to much and damage the liner ? THANKS
    33,000 Vinyl Liner IG Pool, Hayward Sand Filter,Hayward Superflo Pump,Auto Pilot Dig 220 w/RC-52 cell, Polaris 9300xi cleaner. 4 wheel Pressure PoolCleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Lakeland, FL

Re: How do I lower my CYA

you have to replace water. how you do it is your choice, but you're going to have to do half of the water to get it down to 50. I manage mine at 70 if you would rather stop sooner. you just run a bit higher fc level per the chlorine/cya chart.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

3. Back To Top    #3
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

It's usually safe for most pools to drain down 1 foot, refill, retest, repeat if necessary.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

4. Back To Top    #4

Flower Mound, TX

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    It's usually safe for most pools to drain down 1 foot, refill, retest, repeat if necessary.
    Yep, that's probably the best way to go and it is how I did mine when my CH was through the roof. It takes more water that way but you don't have to worry about hurting things.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT