poolcalculator question on MA

VoR

Jun 30, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm trying to lower my TA from 140 to about 80 so I can add borates.

I picked up some MA from the Home Depot while I was there for other stuff and its 14.5% MA. The lowest option in the poolcalc is the "15.7% -10° Baumé".

What is the -xx° Baumé telling me? :?: Do I just increase my dosage by ~8.3%?

Should I get a more concentrated MA from Leslie's or another PS?

ok, no idea, I don't do math, probably shouldn't have said anything ;)
I was asking about the price though just to insure that what I get is the same. I pay 4.50/gallon for 31.45% / 20° baume, so hopefully another store does have a higher strength for the same price you're paying.

VoR said:
What is the -xx° Baumé telling me? :?: Do I just increase my dosage by ~8.3%?
Baumé is an old way of measuring the concentration of something mixed with water by measuring the density of the resulting liquid. It is really only useful because the strength of muriatic acid is usually labeled in Baumé.

Correct, you set my Pool Calculator for 15.7% and increase the dosage by 8.3% over whatever it says. Or, better yet, go to the new beta version of my Pool Calculator and select 14.5% muriatic acid to get the result directly.

btw, since you are the author can you answer this question I asked in another thread but never got a reply:

Is this correct? I was playing around with the pool calculator and (besides the obvious varying amounts of stabilizer in differing brands of TriChlor) is appears that for a pool my size (~9k Gallons) it only takes about 10-12 of the 3" pucks to raise my CYA up and over 50?

I just made the beta in response to your question :)

12 8oz trichlor tablets will raise CYA by 44 in 9,000 gallons. So, not quite as bad as what you said, but close. Of course that assumes no water replacement, and there is always a little water replacement, but essentially true regardless.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
reebok said:
pool stores tend to get bashed on this site (for good reason imho) but when it comes down to the basic chemicals like acid and liquid chlorine, they're often the best.
I keep sayting this over and over again! Pool stores are not evil, just don't listen to the salespeople.

yep, I stocked up on bleach at wally world before considering just getting a few gallons of Chlorine at the local PS. Oh well live ant learn :mrgreen: It will all be worth it after an easy summer of maintenance thanks to you people

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.