Clueless!!!!

Jun 12, 2009
We are in the process of finishing the installation (finally) of our 18x33x52 AG pool. We are hoping to finish installation tomorrow and start filling. Now to my dumb questions:
1) When do I turn on the pump?
2) When do I check/add chemicals for the first time?

Thanks in advance for your help (and not laughing)

kimbo755 said:
We are in the process of finishing the installation (finally) of our 18x33x52 AG pool. We are hoping to finish installation tomorrow and start filling. Now to my dumb questions:
1) When do I turn on the pump?
2) When do I check/add chemicals for the first time?

Thanks in advance for your help (and not laughing)

Welcome to TFP!

No need to worry, the vast majority of us came here clueless and looking for help, myself included.

1) Turn on your pump when the water's at the proper level in the skimmer.

2) For starters, get three or four small jugs of unscented bleach, and start adding one each evening once the pool's full and the pump's running, slowing pouring it in front of a return, so you can get some Free Chlorine started in the pool.

3) Either get your water tested at a pool store, or go get the HTH 6 way test kit from Walmart to do an initial test on your water. Only do the pH and TA test for the moment, as you should be adding enough chlorine every night (see above) and you'll not have any stabilizer in the water yet. Post your results, so we can advise on how to adjust if necessary.

4) While you're at the pool store or Walmart, look for conditioner/stabilizer, which is CYA. You'll need between 4 and 6 lbs. You might also find it at a big box hardware store like Lowe's or Home Depot. Let us know when you have it, and we can advise how to add it to the pool.

5) click on "Pool School" at the top right of the page, and start reading, especially the first two sections, "Getting Started" and "Pool Chemistry". Ask questions,and read again if necessary.

6) Seriously consider getting a good test kit. BBB is not so much a system, but more a methodology where you learn how to test your pool and then maintain it using chemicals that can be bought at the grocery store, for the most part. A good test kit will be the best investment you'll make for your pool. We recommend either the TF100 that's made and sold by one of the forum members here, or the Taylor K-2006, the best price on which I've found is here.

4) Post pictures, if you have them. We love pictures! :goodjob:

THANKS SO MUCH!!!-This site is so informative and everyone is so helpful.
Well, pool is up and mostly filled! We are putting in the pump and skimmer tonight! We actually jumped in yesterday (BRRR) but the kids loved it. With the pool package we purchased online, we received some chemicals already so we are going to use those before we switch.

Will post pictures later today!!!

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE INFO. THIS IS THE BEST SITE FOR POOL OWNERS! WE LOOK FORWARD TO GETTING TO KNOW EVERYONE!

Can I offer you some advice?

List the chems they gave you here, and let us tell you if they are necessary.

Alot of "packages" include things you DON'T WANT to put in your pool - and the average noob might not know that.

Plus, without numbers, you can't confirm if you need anything besides chlorine and CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.