Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: swimmer with staph infection

  1. #1
    Senior Member teppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    119

    swimmer with staph infection

    my mother in law found out after it was too late that one of the regular neighbor kids took a swim in her pool who has just been treated for staph infection. His is a really serious case that required surgery to save his finger. they also say that it is one of the worse types of staph that is really very dangerous and can kill.

    my husband and i are trying to help her, but i wanted to ask here if shocking one time is going to be enough? Is there anything else that should be done short of draining to pool? i really don't think thats necessary, but this is one thing that really freaks me out. I can deal with a little bit of 'pee' in a pool or worse than that, a 'babe ruth' floater(sorry, i know this is not a preffered topic). But, staph scares me. I just want to make sure that its going to be safe for them over there. i would hate for the other children who swim there to become infected or worse yet my mother in law and father in law who are both older people.
    17,000 gallon roman shaped gunite pool-AquaRite goldline SWG

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL
    Posts
    11,956

    Re: swimmer with staph infection

    I think shocking should take care of it.

    How scary.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

  3. #3
    Mod Squad Bama Rambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SouthWest Alabama
    Posts
    20,987

    Re: swimmer with staph infection

    I did a search and every place I looked said that bleach in low concentrations kills staph bacteria. If it were me I'd shock the pool and then run the FC level a couple parts higher for about a week and all will be fine. I wouldn't be scared to let people swim after the shock either.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Flower Mound, TX
    Posts
    5,169

    Re: swimmer with staph infection

    Staph won't live in a properly sanitized pool.

    Hard surfaces can be disinfected by simply wiping things down with a 1:10 household bleach to water mixture.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL
    Posts
    11,956

    Re: swimmer with staph infection

    Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    Staph won't live in a properly sanitized pool.

    Hard surfaces can be disinfected by simply wiping things down with a 1:10 household bleach to water mixture.
    Happy Birthday Craig!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Rafael, CA USA
    Posts
    9,449

    Re: swimmer with staph infection

    This question also came up on a (mostly spa) forum here regarding methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). To play it safe, I would raise the FC to shock levels of chlorine and then let it drop naturally (usually within a day or two), though it's very likely that normal chlorine levels would kill 99% of this bacteria every minute or so.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

  7. #7
    Senior Member AnnaK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,123

    Re: swimmer with staph infection

    The suggestion has already come up but I want to emphasize it again: hard surfaces also will need to be disinfected. Any toys, noodles, balls, floats, hand rails, bathroom, changing room, towels, eating utensils etc the child might have touched should be sprayed with a dilute bleach solution and dried. Any trash (bandaids? tissues?) should be disposed of.

    The likelihood of the bacteria having survived on hard, dry surfaces is pretty slim, but better safe than sorry.
    — AnnaK —

    12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    784

    Re: swimmer with staph infection

    Quote Originally Posted by teppy
    my mother in law found out after it was too late that one of the regular neighbor kids took a swim in her pool who has just been treated for staph infection. His is a really serious case that required surgery to save his finger. they also say that it is one of the worse types of staph that is really very dangerous and can kill.
    The parents of that child need a serious talking to. If it is MRSA or ORSA this is an issue they might have to deal with for an indefinite length of time, possibly even life long. Just google CA-MRSA if you have the stomach for it...totally freaks me out if I let my mind dwell on it. The reason is that it is out there, and many who carry it either don't know they have it, or are ignorant of the precautions they must take to prevent it spreading to others.
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

  9. #9
    Member bwiley47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Princeton, WV
    Posts
    98

    Re: swimmer with staph infection

    I agree about cleaning any toys and hard surfaces with a bleach solution. MRSA can live on surfaces up to 6 months. Keep in mind that bleach even kills the aids virus.

    As a health care worker I am exposed to MRSA and VRE on a daily basis, usually before any culture is performed. I recently had to disinfect my parents entire house after mom had the respiratory type and dad had the skin type. If it makes you feel any better, I changed dad's dressing to his lower leg for 1 wk (blistered, open, lots of draining), without gloves and I did not get it. (though I don't recommend it)!

    I would just monitor anyone who has been in the pool for any blistering rash, and to chlorinate as per instructed here. Try not to worry. MRSA has been around alot longer than people realize and your greatest risk is coming into contact with an open wound that is draining and your own skin is not intact.
    16 x 32 AG Fanta Sea 13,500 gal/ Hayward Sand Filter/ 1 hp Hayward Power Flo LX Pump
    1 skimmer 1 main drain

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Flower Mound, TX
    Posts
    5,169

    Re: swimmer with staph infection

    Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    Staph won't live in a properly sanitized pool.

    Hard surfaces can be disinfected by simply wiping things down with a 1:10 household bleach to water mixture.
    Happy Birthday Craig!
    Thanks!
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Flower Mound, TX
    Posts
    5,169

    Re: swimmer with staph infection

    Quote Originally Posted by bwiley47
    I agree about cleaning any toys and hard surfaces with a bleach solution. MRSA can live on surfaces up to 6 months. Keep in mind that bleach even kills the aids virus.

    As a health care worker I am exposed to MRSA and VRE on a daily basis, usually before any culture is performed. I recently had to disinfect my parents entire house after mom had the respiratory type and dad had the skin type. If it makes you feel any better, I changed dad's dressing to his lower leg for 1 wk (blistered, open, lots of draining), without gloves and I did not get it. (though I don't recommend it)!

    I would just monitor anyone who has been in the pool for any blistering rash, and to chlorinate as per instructed here. Try not to worry. MRSA has been around alot longer than people realize and your greatest risk is coming into contact with an open wound that is draining and your own skin is not intact.
    Sage advice for sure.

    I'm in healthcare too and a coworker and I were talking ther other day about this very thing and how, based on the sheer number of years that we have been in this line of work, that there is little doubt that we would probably test postive for MRSA on a surveillance culture. Ugh! Don't even want to think about VREF though.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

  12. #12
    Senior Member teppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    119

    Re: swimmer with staph infection

    look, i totally agree. my mother in law is scared that they will never speak to her again because she locked the gate to her pool. Now, none of them can swim. those two old people do love those kids coming every afternoon for their swim. I'm not about to offer to let them start coming to my pool. i don't particularly care for people at my house anytime they want using my pool. Especially with no adult supervision. ALL of these parents to these kids need a good talking to. I did speak with the one who has the kid with the staph. i told her that his brother does not need to be bathing in the same bathtub. i told her that light switches, door handles, cabinet knobs, tv remote control, etc.. just everything needs to be wiped down everytime he picks it up or touches it. i would not even want this kid in my home as a matter of fact right now.

    Anyway, thanks to everyone who replied here. i feel much more confident now and at ease about shocking her pool for her and that it will be safe. its at shock level now. i'm about to ride over now and check on it and get some test numbers.


    Quote Originally Posted by Beez
    Quote Originally Posted by teppy
    my mother in law found out after it was too late that one of the regular neighbor kids took a swim in her pool who has just been treated for staph infection. His is a really serious case that required surgery to save his finger. they also say that it is one of the worse types of staph that is really very dangerous and can kill.
    The parents of that child need a serious talking to. If it is MRSA or ORSA this is an issue they might have to deal with for an indefinite length of time, possibly even life long. Just google CA-MRSA if you have the stomach for it...totally freaks me out if I let my mind dwell on it. The reason is that it is out there, and many who carry it either don't know they have it, or are ignorant of the precautions they must take to prevent it spreading to others.
    17,000 gallon roman shaped gunite pool-AquaRite goldline SWG

  13. #13
    Member bwiley47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Princeton, WV
    Posts
    98

    Re: swimmer with staph infection

    Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    Quote Originally Posted by bwiley47
    I agree about cleaning any toys and hard surfaces with a bleach solution. MRSA can live on surfaces up to 6 months. Keep in mind that bleach even kills the aids virus.

    As a health care worker I am exposed to MRSA and VRE on a daily basis, usually before any culture is performed. I recently had to disinfect my parents entire house after mom had the respiratory type and dad had the skin type. If it makes you feel any better, I changed dad's dressing to his lower leg for 1 wk (blistered, open, lots of draining), without gloves and I did not get it. (though I don't recommend it)!

    I would just monitor anyone who has been in the pool for any blistering rash, and to chlorinate as per instructed here. Try not to worry. MRSA has been around alot longer than people realize and your greatest risk is coming into contact with an open wound that is draining and your own skin is not intact.
    Sage advice for sure.

    I'm in healthcare too and a coworker and I were talking ther other day about this very thing and how, based on the sheer number of years that we have been in this line of work, that there is little doubt that we would probably test postive for MRSA on a surveillance culture. Ugh! Don't even want to think about VREF though.
    Absolutely I think we've all had that conversation.
    16 x 32 AG Fanta Sea 13,500 gal/ Hayward Sand Filter/ 1 hp Hayward Power Flo LX Pump
    1 skimmer 1 main drain

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The Woodlands, Texas, USA
    Posts
    235

    Re: swimmer with staph infection

    MESA is staph that is resistant to methacillin and similar antibiotics. It has no effect on it's ability to die when exposed to chlorine. Keep chlorine in your pool per TFP recs and you will fine there.

    With that being said, no one with any type of open sore or wound should be in any swimming pool period. There wound could get infected with other stuff. Pool water is not sterile, just sanitized (hopefully). There is a difference.

    Staph exists "naturally" on everyones skin. It is only a problem if you have a compromised immune system or open sore/wound for it to infect. In a hospital thy make a big deal out of his because most every patient in a hospital has a lowered immune system or sore or wound. For normal healthy people not as big a deal if your skin is intact and you are healthy.

    Bleach and Lysol are both effective. Washing your hands is a great idea also.
    IG 24k plaster with overflow spa. Goldline PS-8 SWG. Tristar 0.75 HP filter pump, Polaris 280 with SELF-PRIMING pump, large cartridge filter, 400k BTU NG LAARS, DelOzone 1gm CD ozonator, Life Saver pool fence, ORP managed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •