Seriously considering the conversion... BUT

Jul 9, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I had Water Mold in my AB pool... I'm in the middle of doing the removal process per the "pool Store" ($175.00 worth of chemicals) and was curious how this is going to effect my Clorox consumption... I had to add 4 gallons of Baqua shock yesterday... This is going to push my levels WAY up... I have heard that water mold is not an issue with Chlorine.. Are both my issues correct? Clorox is going to be THROUGH the roof and Water Mold is not as much of an issue with Chlorine..

Once I start the conversion, I WILL be taking LOTS of pics... Ready for the pretty colors.. LOL!

Welcome to TFP!

I don't know about "through the roof", but more for sure. The high shock/oxidizer level will require extra chlorine, but it isn't as bad as having a high sanitizer level. The shock/oxidizer goes away cleanly, it is the sanitizer that makes goo as it goes away.

Water mold is never an issue with chlorine.

Dang that was quick!! Post my question, get up to get another bee... drink, and I have 2 responses!! You guys ROCK!! Thanks!! I think I'm now convinced!!

PS... Read the "Water Mold is not an issue with Chlorine" line to my financial advisor (Aka, the Wife) and she stated "We're going to Chlorine...)LOL!!

Water Mold before conversion...

Ok I posted last night about my water mold issue and the fact that I have JUST finished the removal process... After an hour and a half of brushing the pool, I was wondering if I need to wait until ALL of the water mold is gone before I take the conversion plunge...

This BITES!! My pool looks like a whale sneezed in it... NASTY!! :grrrr:

The chlorine levels used in the conversion will wipe out any remaining water mold. Removing as much water mold as you can before hand will save chlorine and will help reduce the CC level during the conversion, but isn't essential.

You will not be sorry!!

I too had water mold last year on baquacil. I decided to convert this year when I opened and couldn't be happier with the results. :party:

My conversion went a little smoother than some because since I knew I was converting, I didn't add any sanitizer at the end of last years season. I started out with fairly low baqua levels. I did get some fairly interesting colors during the change.

Make sure you get a good test kit. I just LOVE my TF-100 kit I ordered through here. It has been invaluable during and after my conversion. I have been baqua-free for a month and a half and have had to do NOTHING to my water but add bleach nightly.

If you run into any issues, the people on this forum are great and will get you through them. The only thing I can't stress enough is have PATIENCE...lol...it may take a little longer, and a LOT more chlorine than you expect, but it WILL happen!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Re: Water Mold before conversion...

pitguy3 said:
This BITES!! My pool looks like a whale sneezed in it... NASTY!! :grrrr:

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww! :shock:

Please do take lots of pics! 8) And even though whale snot sounds gross, I wouldn't mind seeing what it <water mold> actually looks like. :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used BQgoo for 8 years. The first few went well. It was downhill from there. I started with the paper like white mold, then the pink mold then the mustard algae, then the....you name it! I never realized how my water clarity had degraded because it happened gradually. Boy do I know now! Friends and family actually want to swim this year.

My water cleared quicker than most because I had little BQ in the pool. Mostly shock. The total conversion wound taking a little extra time because of consistent t-storms, went away, had a leak, etc.. But boy was it worth it! My pool is crstal clear. All I've had to add has been about 1-1.5 qt. of 12.5 %LC per day since. My pH has been very stable as well as all other chems. I'm almost disappointed because I love playing with my new chemistry set (TF100.....brings back childhood memories...LOL). My pool is indeed now a "Trouble Free" pool. Eventually, when I get my camera working, I'll post final pics.

Follow the instructions on this forum and you'll be very pleased with the results!

Good luck!
Geo (previous Baqua-Apostle who's seen the light and converted)

We used Baquacil for 6 years. The last 2 years the water was always cloudy and we had to use floc to get it clear. We also had green algae. Sometimes the algae wouldn't be that visible, but when we used our pool cleaner, the bag would be full of green algae.

We decided to convert this year. We used sodium percarbonate which wiped out most of the Baquacil, and then we finished up with Clorox and only needed about 12 jugs of Clorox total. If you're interested in trying it with sodium percarbonate, we bought it at this place:

http://www.chemistrystore.com/search.cg ... rcarbonate

Good luck with your conversion. I know you are going to love having a crystal clear pool. I really love being able to swim without crashing into walls because I couldn't see.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.