Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Seriously considering the conversion... BUT

1. Back To Top    #1

Seriously considering the conversion... BUT

I had Water Mold in my AB pool... I'm in the middle of doing the removal process per the "pool Store" ($175.00 worth of chemicals) and was curious how this is going to effect my Clorox consumption... I had to add 4 gallons of Baqua shock yesterday... This is going to push my levels WAY up... I have heard that water mold is not an issue with Chlorine.. Are both my issues correct? Clorox is going to be THROUGH the roof and Water Mold is not as much of an issue with Chlorine..

Once I start the conversion, I WILL be taking LOTS of pics... Ready for the pretty colors.. LOL!
    Intex 20x52 above ground pool-
    8632 gallons
    1 man 4 woman Bullfrog Hot Tub
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pitguy3/se ... 763801706/
    ROLL TIDE!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Seriously considering the conversion... BUT

Yup. You got it. If you can find a source for 12.5% liquid chlorine it would mean less jugs to haul. You will have a longer conversion process since your baq level is high.

It's doable though.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

I don't know about "through the roof", but more for sure. The high shock/oxidizer level will require extra chlorine, but it isn't as bad as having a high sanitizer level. The shock/oxidizer goes away cleanly, it is the sanitizer that makes goo as it goes away.

Water mold is never an issue with chlorine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Dang that was quick!! Post my question, get up to get another bee... drink, and I have 2 responses!! You guys ROCK!! Thanks!! I think I'm now convinced!!

PS... Read the "Water Mold is not an issue with Chlorine" line to my financial advisor (Aka, the Wife) and she stated "We're going to Chlorine...)LOL!!
    8632 gallons
    ROLL TIDE!

5. Back To Top    #5

Water Mold before conversion...

Ok I posted last night about my water mold issue and the fact that I have JUST finished the removal process... After an hour and a half of brushing the pool, I was wondering if I need to wait until ALL of the water mold is gone before I take the conversion plunge...

This BITES!! My pool looks like a whale sneezed in it... NASTY!!
    8632 gallons
    ROLL TIDE!

6. Back To Top    #6

The chlorine levels used in the conversion will wipe out any remaining water mold. Removing as much water mold as you can before hand will save chlorine and will help reduce the CC level during the conversion, but isn't essential.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thx Jason!! About to purchase my test kit before starting...
    8632 gallons
    ROLL TIDE!

8. Back To Top    #8

Whale snot, that made me laugh.

thanks I needed that

dave
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

9. Back To Top    #9

You will not be sorry!!

I too had water mold last year on baquacil. I decided to convert this year when I opened and couldn't be happier with the results.

My conversion went a little smoother than some because since I knew I was converting, I didn't add any sanitizer at the end of last years season. I started out with fairly low baqua levels. I did get some fairly interesting colors during the change.

Make sure you get a good test kit. I just LOVE my TF-100 kit I ordered through here. It has been invaluable during and after my conversion. I have been baqua-free for a month and a half and have had to do NOTHING to my water but add bleach nightly.

If you run into any issues, the people on this forum are great and will get you through them. The only thing I can't stress enough is have PATIENCE...lol...it may take a little longer, and a LOT more chlorine than you expect, but it WILL happen!

Good luck and keep us posted!
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

10. Back To Top    #10

Re: Water Mold before conversion...

Quote Originally Posted by pitguy3
    This BITES!! My pool looks like a whale sneezed in it... NASTY!!
    Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Please do take lots of pics! 8) And even though whale snot sounds gross, I wouldn't mind seeing what it <water mold> actually looks like.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

I used BQgoo for 8 years. The first few went well. It was downhill from there. I started with the paper like white mold, then the pink mold then the mustard algae, then the....you name it! I never realized how my water clarity had degraded because it happened gradually. Boy do I know now! Friends and family actually want to swim this year.

My water cleared quicker than most because I had little BQ in the pool. Mostly shock. The total conversion wound taking a little extra time because of consistent t-storms, went away, had a leak, etc.. But boy was it worth it! My pool is crstal clear. All I've had to add has been about 1-1.5 qt. of 12.5 %LC per day since. My pH has been very stable as well as all other chems. I'm almost disappointed because I love playing with my new chemistry set (TF100.....brings back childhood memories...LOL). My pool is indeed now a "Trouble Free" pool. Eventually, when I get my camera working, I'll post final pics.

Follow the instructions on this forum and you'll be very pleased with the results!

Good luck!
    Geo (previous Baqua-Apostle who's seen the light and converted)
    Geoshecks
    Perry Hall, Maryland
    27' round above ground, 17100 gal, vinyl, Hayward1.5hp, 200lb.sand, EX baqua-goo user.

12. Back To Top    #12

We used Baquacil for 6 years. The last 2 years the water was always cloudy and we had to use floc to get it clear. We also had green algae. Sometimes the algae wouldn't be that visible, but when we used our pool cleaner, the bag would be full of green algae.

We decided to convert this year. We used sodium percarbonate which wiped out most of the Baquacil, and then we finished up with Clorox and only needed about 12 jugs of Clorox total. If you're interested in trying it with sodium percarbonate, we bought it at this place:

http://www.chemistrystore.com/search.cg ... rcarbonate

Good luck with your conversion. I know you are going to love having a crystal clear pool. I really love being able to swim without crashing into walls because I couldn't see.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)