Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Level and Evaporation

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Level and Evaporation

This is a simple question, but I couldn't find any previous posts referencing it. Perhaps the question is too simple. Any my pool water evaporates and is replaced, will my CYA levels drop or does evaporation simply leave less water with a higher concentration of CYA?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Lakeland, FL

Re: CYA Level and Evaporation

your level should stay the same. cya doesn't evaporate, so yes if you don't replace water you will have a higher cya, though I doubt you could measure this loss cause it should be pretty small (unless you're losing a few feet of water to evaporation and not replacing it!)
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

Another question, does CYA sink? That is, if I turned my filter off for a day and let things settle, and then wasted water from the bottom pool drain only, would I elimate more CYA than otherwise? Do other things settle if the pool is not being filtered?

Thank you.

4. Back To Top    #4
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

No. CYA doesn't sink, and it doesn't evaporate.

The only practical way to remove it is to drain and refill, which post pool owners have to do in a series of partial drains so as not to damage the pool.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner