Spa heater wiring

lborne

Jun 29, 2009
Vero Beach, FL
I have solar heating for the pool, but a 11KW electric just to bump up the spa 10 degrees or so. I know the SWG is wired to the pump timer, but is the heater typically done this way also? I can't find much info on the Hayward heater, but I assume if it is wired direct to 220V and you turned it on, it would just heat the water inside the unit and cycle off and on relatively often. However, if it is wired to the timer, it would help make sure water is flowing before it is operated - assuming there is no bypass. I also want to have it on the spa return line only so that it can't accidently heat the entire pool which would probably cost a small fortune.

The heater should be on a dedicated breaker. An 11kW heater at 220v would draw 50 amps, which is much higher than your pump's breaker would allow.

The heater has a few safety devices inside it that stop it from cycling when there's no circulation. First is a pressure or flow switch which tells it whether or not water is moving through the unit, the second is a high limit switch (or two) which let it know if it overheats from heating still water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.