Do you really need to fill gap between the concrete & coping

shazza

Mar 10, 2008
Harrisburg, PA
We were told to fill the gap with some kind of caulking (after 2 years). We have to pull out the plastic filler material first & then seal the gap around the pool. I don't mind it being open. Will it cause repair problems if we don't seal it ... Water seaping under & cracking due to freezing & thawing?

Water seaping under & cracking due to freezing & thawing?You got it. Every splashout of that pool deposits water under your decking. Even if it doesn't freeze, that's not good for several reasons.

Polyurethane caulk will give you the best, most permanent seal but is touigh to work with. Silicone is easier but doesn't look as nice. Acrylic will ineveitably shrink and reopen the crack.

Why did they wait two years to tell you?

I paid about $300 for a professional to come out and do the caulking between the coping and concrete pads around my pool. My biggest concern was water getting in under the concrete and freezing. It took him a good part of a day. What he did;

- Clean out old caulking. They used a razor to "free" it between the caulking and concrete then pulled it out.
- Prepped the concrete by cleaning with a wire brush on a drill. Just the inside, not the top/face.
- Taped off the top two sides so any spill-over caulking would be easy to clean up.
- Mixed a 2-part caulking solution
- Put it in a large grouting (or icing) funnel bag
- Carefully applied

Pretty straightforward, just tedious. After they applied it can't remember if they just let gravity settle it or if they came back with a tool and smoothed it.

HTH,
Kevin

I'm getting ready to use joint sealer between my coping and deck and see a large price difference between these joint sealers. Does anyone know if the more expensive brands are better; like Deck O Seal or Velkem?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
shazza said:
Tried to upload photo but was unsuccessful. Sounds like you all know what I'm talking about.

Open a Photobucket.com account (or similar-many free sites offer photo hosting). Upload the pics there (select the "large" size when you do) and then copy the "IMG" code - it will give you several choices of code - then you just past the IMG code into your message here, and voila, the pic appears. SSSooOOO easy. :wink:

Does the original filler look like this? Our pool builder never said anything about having to replace this stuff! We have been wondering about it though, because the stuff looks like it is slowly disappearing. This is our third summer.

[im
pool09072.jpg
g][/img]

Unfortunately we had other projects to do and we did not get to it. The pool is being closed today. We may still try to do it this fall if the temperature cooperates. We'd have to undo the safety cover to do it. It will definitely get done in the Spring. Top pool priority.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.