Confused about Shock Level

I am still alittle confused about the shock process. I have been going by the direction on the post about small pools. I have been putting in the 8 oz dichlor for the last four nights and making sure the FC is at 4 like the directions said, but the conversion chart says if the CYA level is 30 shock level is 12. So maybe that is why the water is still cloudy? Should I be raising the FC level?

I think the 4 FC is for maintenance...if your CYA is 30, go ahead and raise your FC up to 12 or slightly higher given your recnet dichlor additions...if it were me I would raise the FC with bleach or liquid chlorine while shocking, no need to keep adding CYA while your in the shock process and your already at 30 :goodjob:

no...dichlor works pretty fast and contains CYA which is why you want to slow down on using dichlor. 4ppm FC is what your FC should be every day while swimming...to shock your FC needs to go up to 12+ and keep it there until the water clears...hope that helps

Shock is something you do to your water not add to it...chemical co's just use the term shock as a marketing term...it's just another form of chlorination, just like bleach

Your very welcome :goodjob: ...hopefully you can enjoy that pool soon! Just keep your pump running and ensure the filter element stays clean while the water clears...good luck

riverhilltop said:
Thanks again that answers my question. I kind of thought that but it didn't mention anything about it in the basic instructions I was reading. So I think I finally understand this process fully.

riverhilltop...Read about shocking your pool in pool school...Dmanb is correct...FMP was always telling me this...Shock is something you do to your pool Beaver...not something that you put in the water. With that said...many people often get confuesed about shocking instructions...especially reading packaging instructions. Remember this many times packaging instructions are meant to downplay lawsuits and to keep people from harming themselves...so many times I read these instructions and see FC should be kept at 1-3 ppm and it is not safe to swim until chlorine levels are below 3 ppm. My kids have been swiming anywere between 5-9 ppm, and by the time they get done swimming there is still enough chlorine to keep fighting of algae and bacteria. Follow the instructions here rather than the instructions on the bottle. We all have been swiming well above 5 ppm, and I don't think I have ever read where anyone has been adversly effected by swimming at that level. I wouldn't swim above 9 ppm but others have. That is just me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.