Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please tell me if I am on the correct path....

1. Back To Top    #1

Please tell me if I am on the correct path....

I spent a lot of time on the site and I THINK I am on the right path but I would like some confirmation from you guys.

My pool has been open for one month. Here are my readings (Hopefully I got these right. I just received the TF100 test kit today. Prior to that I was using a smaller Taylor kit my PB gave me.)

FC = 2.0
    CC = 0
    TA = 130
    PH = 7.8 (my best guess because 7.6, 7.8 and 8.0 all look pretty much alike to me.)
    CH = 300
    CYA = 40
    Borates = ??? ( I did not add any so I guess 0 )
    Phosphates = 500 (I am not testing for these. This was from my PB on Saturday when I took my water into them for testing)

Here is my plan that I would like your opinion on:
    1) Use muriatic acid to lower PH and TA. Aerate to increase PH. Keep at it until I get TA = 90 and PH = 7.8
    2) Add stabilizer until I get CYA = 70 (Can I add this while I am also lowering my TA? Or does this need to happen first?)
    3) Increase SWG so that FC = 5
    4) After I get 1, 2, and 3 finished, add Borates to 50.
    5) I do not fully understand the phosphates. According to my PB this is the food of Algae so besides the FC, I should lower this to zero via a product he has called PhosFree. That way the Algae will not even have a food source. What is the Trouble Free Pool recommendation for Phosphates?

Are my target numbers correct? Is my plan in accordance with what I think I read on the site?

I feel like I am getting close so thanks for all your help.

By the way, I think my water looks and feels great now; so I am curious to see if it gets even better once I finish the above steps.
    4th Year Pool owner in Sinking Spring PA
    46'x23' Free Form Concrete (34,000 gallons), Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen Finish, Pentair IntelliChlor SWG
    Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, Pentair D.E. FNS Filter, Pentair MasterTemp heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Please tell me if I am on the correct path....

Hey, primetime,

1. Make your first priority to get your FC up.....around 3-5ppm.....never below 3. Low FC causes far more issues than TA. Make FC the primary focus of your pool water care.

2. I would leave the TA alone for a while. You may want to fine tune it later but you are in an acceptable range. I would keep the pH down around 7.5 on average (which will lower TA )

3. Phosphates.....disregard them. They are essentially irrelevant unless you have a pool store and want to sell phosfree.

Basically, I am saying that your plan is fine. I want to make sure you put chlorine in the proper priority.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Ditto - what he said
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys for the advice on FC. Should I add bleach or just wait for the SWG to increase the FC? I am new to pools so I do not know how long it will take the SWG to get the FC up to 5.

If I understand correctly, if my FC is always at 5 them I do not need to worry about phosphates?

Will the borates help a SW pool? Can I start to add them now and slowly build up to 50?
    4th Year Pool owner in Sinking Spring PA
    46'x23' Free Form Concrete (34,000 gallons), Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen Finish, Pentair IntelliChlor SWG
    Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, Pentair D.E. FNS Filter, Pentair MasterTemp heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Correct, maintain your FC and phosphates won't matter.

I would add bleach to raise it, then the SWG should be able to maintain it.

Lots of users report postive benefits of borates. I would wait a while, get to know your pool, and when you are feeling confident, then add them.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com