New to a baqu conversion

justmarried1220 said:
So you think the calcium will be okay I only have a few more bags of the dumb turbo shock left and I fixing to put them in right now to get back to FC of 15?

YES ALREADY, LOL :mrgreen: :lol: :hammer:

Go add it, right now!....

Seriously, If your CH was 220 before, 12 lbs would only raise the CH level by about 60ppm +/-. High CH (which that is not, over 400 would be considered "high") - high CH is only a problem when combined with high PH. So just keep your PH in check, never let it go above 7.8 and it's not an issue at all.

Thanks frustratedpoolmom! :lol:
I am a bit OCD!!! LOL
I am on my way right now to add more..
I couldn't survive without this website! And your the best..very quick to answer my crazy questions.

will up date this evening

I had that pretty limey-green color for a couple of days also. Looks like you're progressing nicely, just keep your chlorine levels up like everyone has suggested and it will go faster.

Believe me, these fine people KNOW what they're talking about. They helped me through my conversion and I have had a trouble free pool for almost 2 months now. The only thing I do is add bleach nightly and test all my other levels weekly. I have had to add nothing to the water except my nightly dosings of bleach. How much easier can it get, right?

Looking good!

thank you pepsiholic! We are getting very excited to get our pool back! and away from the pool store parasites as we like to call them...since they suck the life and money out of you!
Just wanted to say one quick thing.
The store that we purchased our pool from last year also had us use the baquacil product. After it went cloudy they were having us come back to them almost every other day for water checks. Each time we went in there they sold us something else that would FIX the pool, however nothing work LOL! On our last visit they sold my husband some 30 dollar "mircle" chemical that would solve all baquacil problems. That is when I decided NO MORE Spending. We didn't use the chemical and started on the conversion the next day. Funny thing is Saturday I took the chemical back to the pool store..they loving :( asked why we were returning it. I said b/c we don' t need it we switched to chlorine..they then protested that baqua goo is the BEST thing, ya da ya da ya da, and so forth, I said No and smiled..then they started in on well you WILL need this for Chlorine...blah blah blah,,Once again I just smiled and said NO, after about 10 min. they finally gave my money back and I was our the door.... :lol:

Just wanted to share...

more concerns...
Okay so the pool is still a weird color, lets say a "neon pee" color. I check FC/CC and got a reading of FC 3.5 CC 6, PH looked low. It rained about 2" last night so my husband backwashed really good this morning.

The husband also we to the pool store to get our credit for the baquacil we return..yeah! While he was there he went ahead and let them do a water sample just to compare to my result..as if he didn't trust me LOL!

Their report was close to mine, however they did say there was no baqua in the water. Hubby told them of the color and that is was clear just a weired color. However, they once again placed their knowledge on to my wonderful husband..They said to continue to shock..we only have one bag of Pool Life Turbo shock left ,said to do 1 bag tonight and then to place some Pool Life Active Cleaning Caplets -Chlorinator -1 tub shaped thing in the skimmer. They did say all of the CYA was gone and we were losing a lot of FC, ya da ya da ya da.....Said once the pool got a normal clear blue color, we needed to get alkalinty and PH adjusted b/c both were low.

So I am sitting here staring at a small containter of this Pool Life Active Cleaning Caplets that my sweet hubby brought home...I have already fussed at him explaining we DONT need it, but he just shrugged and said he used our store credit.

HELP! I am doing only as recommended by you wonderful people and this is throwing a loop in my plan.

I did go to wal-mart today and bought 6% walmart brand bleach to use once my turbo shock bags are gone (only have 2 left)

Need to know what to do..

Questions-
1. Keep shocking until pool gets blue clear color? keep FC at 15?
2. Do I need to add this caplets in the skimmer as they told the hubby?
3. Will this odd color clear up, or have a screwed it up by not doing liquid bleach?
4. What about the alkalinty, PH, and CYA do I wait to fix that once I get the FC and CC under control and holding through the night?

just took some more results...
FC .5
CC 4.5
TC 5

PH 7.4
TA100

I went ahead and did the CA however have a questions regarding the results...

At 24 drops the bottom of the container turned blue but the top was still pink, is that when I stop counting and figure the CA? if so that would make it 240

I kept going just for question sake and at 54 drops all the water turned blue in the tube but there were still pink flecs floating in it?

Please advise me on this. I know that before I started the conversion my CA was 220 according to pool store results and I've been using the Turbo Shock.

Sorry to be a pool pest LOL!

JM,

Here is your mean, blunt post for today. Forget your Calcium level. It is currently not important.

Your Focus should be on the chlorine which you have let drop to virtually nothing. Chlorine will clear your pool and give you crystal clear water. Get your chlorine back up to shock value and keep it there.

Disregard your Calcium.

You need chlorine....and you need a bunch of it and you need to not let your chlorine drop like you just did

OK, I'm through lecturing.

(BTW, did I mention you need to keep your chlorine level up? :lol: :lol: )

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the reply Dave! I need blunt info sometimes...I am just so stressed about this....

Okay So I am going to drop in my last to bags of Turbo Shock, then check my FC in an hour, if it is low, can I go ahead and start using the liquid bleach?

Also what about the caplets....?

Put in the Turbo (Cal hypo). Put in the bleach. Unless I've missed something. there is no need to test, you FC is virt5ually zero (.5)

Do you know how to calculate how much bleach to add?

I don't know what you mean about "caplets".

yes I now how to use the pool calculator...the caplets are called "Pool Life Active Cleaning Caplets-Chlorinator- Active Ingrediants 68% calcium Hypo, other 32% The Hubby said "they" told him to put in skimmer while we are shocking it?

What to do about it?

If I am following correctly, you have already used about 12 lbs of cal-hypo. If that is correct, and you have used 12 lbs or more of cal-hypo, you should stop using cal-hypo. Switch to bleach, or liquid chlorine if you can find it.

Just as the others have told you, you need to get your chlorine up to shock level and keep it there. There is no need to worry about CH or CYA at this point. The more you keep your chlorine level up, the faster the water WILL clear :)

jason,
Thanks, just added some bleach. Can you advise me on the
"Pool Life Active Cleaning Caplets" that my hubby brought home? I don't plan on using them ,but just needed the FYI on what they were or how to use them?

Thanks

Okay so last night at I topped up FC to 15 around 8pm, checked at 9:30pm still at 15, to up this morning and checked FC at 7am (overcast) FC was at 7. I just topped upped chlorine level and brushed sides and floor.

I know that the FC lost quite a bit over night...any comments.

I will be keeping it up to 15 all day using liquid bleach..yay...no more turbo shock bags left!

You are doing well, moving into the final phase of the process. Now you are waiting for the FC level to hold overnight. That will happen more quickly if your maintain FC at 15 during the day, but you will use less total chlorine if you switch to only adding chlorine in the evenings. Because FC is falling more slowly, more of your chlorine is lost to sunlight during the day that was true in the earlier phases.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.