Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High pH Low Alkalinity. What to do?

1. Back To Top    #1

High pH Low Alkalinity. What to do?

Hi All.

I'm having a dilemma. My pH is reading 8.1 and my alkalinity is reading 56, how in the world do I get these two reading in sync. When I raise or lower one the other is adversly affected.

I have a 30,000 gallon in ground pool with new plaster.
    Polaris 380 Blackmax

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High pH Low Alkalinity. What to do?

With new plaster your pH and TA will keep rising for a while. Keep adding acid to keep your pH in the proper range.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

3. Back To Top    #3

You don't want to adjust the TA or CH level of the pool for about three weeks after fresh plaster is applied, unless your plaster people tell you to, but you do need to keep the PH in range. Try to keep the PH between 7.2 and 7.8, and never higher than 8.0. That will require quite a bit of acid for several weeks, and then lower amounts of acid for up to a year.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

So if your plaster is older than 3 weeks, you should use Baking Soda to raise the TA if necessary, but I wouldn't go higher than 70. Be sure to pre-dissolve it.

Do you know how to use the Pool Calculator?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    You don't want to adjust the TA or CH level of the pool for about three weeks after fresh plaster is applied, unless your plaster people tell you to, but you do need to keep the PH in range. Try to keep the PH between 7.2 and 7.8, and never higher than 8.0. That will require quite a bit of acid for several weeks, and then lower amounts of acid for up to a year.
    Thanks but with my pH being 8.1 and my alkalinity being 56 if I try to bring the pH down it's going to push my alkalinity down even further. If i try to bring my alkalinity up it pushes my pH up. I don't understand how I can adjust one without affecting the other.

PS my plaster is 6 weeks old. My replasterer told me to keep my pH at around 7.2 for the first month and my alkalinity around 80.
    Polaris 380 Blackmax

6. Back To Top    #6

Any adjustment to either PH or TA will change the other, but not by very much. With a little care, you can get them both to where you want them. In this particular case, you want to lower the PH by about 0.1 extra with muriatic acid, measure the TA again at this point since it will have changed, and then raise the TA with baking soda. The baking soda will raise the PH a little, but the extra 0.1 reduction beforehand should take care of that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School