Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using acid on tile to remove calcium

1. Back To Top    #1

Lake Forest, CA

Using acid on tile to remove calcium

I need to spray/apply some muriatic acid on my tile in a few places to remove some calcium buildup, and I want to make sure that I don't damage the tile grout while doing it. Can the acid/water mixture stay on the tile for a while before rinsing it off, or will the grout start to get eaten away fairly quickly? I'm just wondering, in case some of the calcium is really stubborn and might need acid sitting on it for a while to get rid of it.

12000 gal IG pool/spa combo,60 sq ft Jandy DEL filter,2 hp Jandy Stealth pump,Jandy LX400 400K BTU gas heater,Pentair Rainbow 300 off-line feeder (never gets used),Jandy Aqualink RS4 with PDA remote,3 Jandy 12" sheer descent waterfall features, Dolphin Oasis Z5 robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Using acid on tile to remove calcium

Hi, Greg,

Start with a diluted mixture of say 5:1. That will probably do nothing so then try 3:1.

The misture will foam visibly when it is cutting the calcium.

Likewise, it will foam visibly if it starts to cut your grout as well.

If there is any way you can tape off the grout to prevent the acid from being on it, that is the best.

Short of that, simply keep it off the grout as much as you can and if it starts to cut the grout, have a rag handy to quickly dilete it with pool water.

It's not instantaneous and, with a little common sense, you should be able to make it work pretty well.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School