Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High Chlorine and Vinyl Liner

1. Back To Top    #1
    Ottawa, Canada

High Chlorine and Vinyl Liner

Will high chlorine (+40ppm) over a long period (5+ days) damage or discolor vinyl liners?

I've read that affirmation in quite a few posts recently but I also vaguely remember seeing a test done by somebody on this forum where pieces of vinyl liner were left soaking in bleach for several days with no visible effect. I searched the board but couldn't find the post.

My pool is only 2 years old, so the liner is in perfect condition. However, I've seen a few older pools with discolored vinyl liners, but the discoloration was above the water line instead of under it. That led me to think it might be more due to the sun / UV rays than high chlorine.
    14X24 ig vinyl pool 3ft-4 1/2ft deep - 7000 gal
    Aqua Genie skimmer and return - no main drain, 1 hp hayward pump, 27" Hayward filter with Zeobrite,
    Aqua Logic P4 controller + SWG, 2 lights
    192 square feet of solar panels controlled by P4, 5KW electric heater (just in case...)

2. Back To Top    #2
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: High Chlorine and Vinyl Liner

It depends on how high the CYA level is. If the water was low in CYA that high a FC level could be damaging.

Damage to liners is often caused by improperly added chemicals, poor chemistry, etc. and it's easy to point to chlorine as the culprit, when that's not always the case.

For example, running with low ph for long periods can be very damaging. Allowing cal-hypo or dichlor to sit undissolved can bleach out the vinyl...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: High Chlorine and Vinyl Liner

Low PH is far more likely to damage a vinyl liner than chlorine is, though chlorine can cause problems if it gets high enough for long enough and CYA isn't very high.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School