New test kit and new pool

momof3

Jun 19, 2009
Kentucky
I got my test kit today and they are putting up my pool as we speak.. Here are my results from my tap water which is what we will use to fill my pool.. However, I am having about 2500 gal's of water shipped in so I don't know how much effect that will have on my test results... Anyway here they are and what would you recommend I should purchase at this point to add once the pool is filled.. (hopefully by friday)

CC=0

FC=1ppm

TA=70

CH=90

PH=7.2

Is there anything else I need to test for??

Thanks for your help....

When I test the CYA (didnt do yet) the directions say to fill the thingie to the bottom line is that the bottom line of the label and then the top line is the top of the label??

I would guess I don't have any CYA so how much of that should I add when I fill the pool??

Also, is there an order at which I should add chemicals to the pool?? ex.. bleach, cya or cya bleach..??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
it takes up to a week for it to register on a test. once it's in there, it's in there. so no it's not better. just wait a week to test to be on the safe side that you don't waste reagents. but once it's dissolved (however you choose to do that) you can assume your level is whatever you added (i.e. if you add the amount to reach 30ppm, assume it's now 30ppm and test in a week to confirm).
cya is only lost to splash out, leaks, etc. (and possibly another rare situation) it is not lost to evaporation, so no you don't add it often. very rarely. the people who add it most are people who drain their pools completely over winter and refill in spring.

it's the same, not worth the added expense IMHO. Once you add CYA granules, you can assume you have that level of CYA, you just cant test it for a week. You just put it in a sock over your return. Your main objective is to add FC to the water to hold off algae. CYA just slows the burn rate of the chlorine.

CYA only get's dilute if your replacing water...ie lot's of rain and you have to dump water. You don't lose CYA due to evaporation. The only other time you can lose CYA is over the winter it sometimes has a tendency to dissappear through a chemical process I am too dumb to describe and converts to ammonia...but you don't have to worry about that right now

either will do...plain old tube sock works just fine...just tie the end and hang it in front of your return...you'll see it wiggling around and keep your pump running until it disolves. You can mush it up from time to time to speed up the disolving

momof3 said:
When you say add the cya to a "sock" do you mean like panty hose or a real sock? lol

If I used the granule CYA would it be 77oz then?

If I used the liquid I would just dump it in like bleach right?

74oz by weight. 77 by volume. if you get liquid follow the directions on the bottle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.