Dragon Flies & salt Water Pool!

NCSalt

Apr 26, 2009
Raleigh, NC
This may appear to be a strange question but has anyone with a SWG experienced that there are more Dragonflies around. Don't get me wrong I love them and it's absolutely enchanting but we never have had so many....right now there are about 12 flying around, over the pool, sitting on furniture.....they actually like sitting on people's toes or when I sit and read by the pool one will rest on my book....WOW

Happy Pool Season to All...our's been amazing thus far, possibly the best summer yet:)
Cheerio,
Tanja

I don't know if salt water pools attract them more than others because we have lots of "Skeeter Hawks" (that's what we've always called em). I'm with you, I love them. I've always heard it was good luck when one lit on you and stayed. Maybe it is. :wink:

hi tanja,
i'm in the raleigh area and am curious if you have a lot of mosquitoes near your pool? dragonflies eat mosquitoes, so i always have 10-15 flying around my pool during the day. i'm not sure if it has anything to do with the SWG, but i would love to hear another explanation. either way, the enemy of my enemy is my friend, and i always make sure my dragonflies are doing ok.

goodnterribles said:
hi tanja,
i'm in the raleigh area and am curious if you have a lot of mosquitoes near your pool? dragonflies eat mosquitoes, so i always have 10-15 flying around my pool during the day. i'm not sure if it has anything to do with the SWG, but i would love to hear another explanation. either way, the enemy of my enemy is my friend, and i always make sure my dragonflies are doing ok.

Hi.Goodnterribles:...yes we do have our share of mosquitos, our property borders on wetlands, and is framed in by two small creeks below that come together at the edge of our property....the pesky stingers are alive and well over here and love me for some reason, I swear that they form groups and wait for me to come outside but no-more biting me, I puchased the OFF clip-on mosquito repellent and it works...yippie :goodjob: :party:

Your explanation is possible the most plausible, lots of mosquitos = lots of dragon-flies. Well I do love the dragonflies and if they munch on the mosquitos - I love them even more:)

Cheerio, Tanja

wow, that is a cool pic up close! i used to be creeped out by them landing on me but now i just watch them when they land on my feet or legs.

my mosquito problem was really bad but i got a spray that's made of pyrethrin (sp?). you can buy a product that puts the spray in a lantern and it goes off automatically at dawn and dusk. it has really made a big differrence.

eric

goodnterribles said:
my mosquito problem was really bad but i got a spray that's made of pyrethrin (sp?). you can buy a product that puts the spray in a lantern and it goes off automatically at dawn and dusk. it has really made a big differrence.

eric

Hi Eric,

Would you tell me where you buy that pyrethrin? I got bitten so much that I embrace anything that helps...thanks!

Cheerio,
Tanja

pestpoolandlawn said:
Cool picture of the dragon fly! Way cool!Edit. Butterfly

Also to the person with the off repellent. Truthfully does it work? Also what kind of conditions were around you? Typical back yard or woods?

:wave:

Thanks for the compliment on the picture. I enjoy taking photos of bugs, you should see my spider pictures:)

Anyway, the reason I responded it the Off-Repellent thingy, it does work for me, and I am a huge attraction for Mosquitos...it's a pain in the "you-know-what" to keep on your person and changing batteries and the liquid insert but it works for me.....our backyard is woodsy, our property borders on wetlands (there are two creeks that join right below our property) this time of the year very moist and humid and loving thr Dragon-Flies that seem to have made it their mission to reduce the mosquito population in my backyard!

However, reasonable suggestions in regards to keeping mosquitos in check are always welcome!
THanks!
Cheerio!
Tanja in NC!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.