Sand Filter Maintenance

Jun 27, 2009
Split from sand-filter-maintenance-t12275.html Butterfly

New pool owner and I was told that the sand in my filter has to be changed out about every 5 years. From the answer below it was stated that sand only has to be checked from time to time to make sure it is not crusted over, loose and level. Unfortunately I am not home right now and cannot tell you what make of filter it is. Pool service wants to charge me $350 to change out sand, if it doesn't need to be done I could sure use that money elsewhere.

Carol
gunite pool
15,000 gal

Unless you have used chemicals in the past like Baquacil, you probably don't need the sand changed. $350 :shock: to change the sand???

Did they give you a reason why they said the sand need to be changed? Personally, I am of the camp that does believe that sand does need to get changed out about every 7 years or so because it gets worn smooth because of erosion and doesn't filter as well but you can use DE as a filter aid to increase the filtering ability of old sand. If the sand is channeled that can be easily fixed. If the sand is calcified that may or may not be fixable by an acid wash.
My suggestion would be to look at the sand yourself and then try washing it and see.
my-sand-is-channeled-how-to-fix-it-t7626.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.