Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand Filter Maintenance

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand Filter Maintenance

Split from sand-filter-maintenance-t12275.html Butterfly

New pool owner and I was told that the sand in my filter has to be changed out about every 5 years. From the answer below it was stated that sand only has to be checked from time to time to make sure it is not crusted over, loose and level. Unfortunately I am not home right now and cannot tell you what make of filter it is. Pool service wants to charge me $350 to change out sand, if it doesn't need to be done I could sure use that money elsewhere.

gunite pool
    15,000 gal
    Intex 12x20 4300 gallon vinyl
    Intex 4000 gph cartridge filter "B" pump
    TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Sand Filter Maintenance

Unless you have used chemicals in the past like Baquacil, you probably don't need the sand changed. $350 to change the sand???
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Did they give you a reason why they said the sand need to be changed? Personally, I am of the camp that does believe that sand does need to get changed out about every 7 years or so because it gets worn smooth because of erosion and doesn't filter as well but you can use DE as a filter aid to increase the filtering ability of old sand. If the sand is channeled that can be easily fixed. If the sand is calcified that may or may not be fixable by an acid wash.
    My suggestion would be to look at the sand yourself and then try washing it and see.

4. Back To Top    #4
    S.E. MI

$350 to change the sand is WAY too much. I had my sand changed and I was charged $125.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)