I hope my topic is not improper since it is more of a diary of my steps of going from swamp to pool as opposed to a question. I was wanting a synopsis of what I did to correct my problem for posterity. However, I would love any comments if it seems I've gone astray or on the right path.
After trying to open for the season I noticed a couple small leaks, but mostly had to constantly backwash which made it difficult to balance and clean so I decided to upgrade. I had basically replaced all my equipment with new equipment/plumbing. Replaced SuperPump II with WhisperFlo dual speed and 48 sqft DE filter with S310S sand filter with 6 multiport valve. The only thing I didn't replace is the heater which I had replaced last year.
Including this link for reference: