Help in Reading the Comparator

primetime

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2008
Sinking Spring, PA
I ordered the TF100 (it should arrive on Wednesday!)

In the mean time I have been using a basic Taylor test kit that my PB gave me. My problem is that I have a very difficult time reading the FC and PH levels. No problem with adding the regents, my problem is deciding what color matches. It looks different depending where I look. I have tried reading it outside and inside, but still I have trouble.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any tips or tricks to help me?

Will the TF100 be any easier for me?

Thanks!

For my pH testing (the only thing I use a color comparator for), I always do it during the daytime outside, holding it so the background is white (angled down a bit towards our pool deck, or on the side of the house where we have a white entry door).

If you are outdoors in natural light, can you hold it somewhere where you have a white background? If not, anything close? I avoid doing it indoors if at all possible.

At least when you get your TF100 kit, you can titrate for your FC level and only use a color block for the pH.

Greg

The PH test is essentially identical in the TF100, but the chlorine test is much simpler to use.

For both tests, you want to hold the test block up to either the northern sky or a sunlit white surface if you can. Distinguishing colors is much simpler in good lighting. For the OTO chlorine test, drops turn the sample various shades of yellow, most people have trouble distinguishing chlorine levels above 2 from each other, and most people can figure it out for levels between 0 and 2.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.