Pool Temp too hot!

Nickel sized (and a few golf ball sized) HAIL along with 2 inches of rain and 60mph winds cooled my pool off real quick. Not that I want to do that again- you should see the splashes that size of hail makes in a swimming pool! Also, first big test of our electric system- lightening struck and split a tree about 50 feet from the pool. Everything seems to be ok so far.

Sorry to reply so late, just getting excited about getting in mine this year I guess, so I am pouring over what I missed last year. The guy who did my coping work told me about living in Arizona and dealing wiht HOT pool issues. He said as a child his mother would make big blocks of ice and thrown them in during really scortching weather to cool the water off. I remember as a kid getting block ice from the ice house for making ice cream in the summer. It would be along those lines I would think.

I remember as a kid getting block ice from the ice house for making ice cream in the summer. It would be along those lines I would think.
Breaker! Breaker! That's a big ole' negatory, good buddy!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cool that pool thru aeration.....(search articles and pics on this forum)......the ice just doesn't have the capacity.

metalmom said:
So, how do I get the temp down? I'm in TX, with dark plaster and a small IG play pool that is 5 ft at it's deepest. For the past 3 or so weeks, the water's been 92 degrees, and it's just too darn hot!
It's a new pool with little foliage for shade. I bought this mistcooler thingy online, but not sure it's really working. Can't afford to buy the $1200 cooler that attaches to equipment. What does everyone else do when the pool feels like bath water??

I'll try to attach pics....
Why would anyone want to cool a pool :shock: I guess I am spoilt because I will not even think about going in a pool unless it is at least 88deg :-D Our pool is at 91deg and with the outside temp at 74deg I still think it needs to be warmer :cheers: :cheers:

Great thread. :cool:

Its funny to see people in some areas that have problems cooling their pool, when all I usually want to do is make mine warmer. :cheers:

I like my pool around 87ish and my wife likes it around 90. But in NY its different because its obviously much cooler out. If the weather was close to 100, I would want the pool a bit cooler to make it more refreshing.

When I heat my pool to 88 or higher and its the middle of the day in the heat, some people complain it is uncomfortable. It just makes you feel sweaty and gross in the pool which should be doing the exact opposite. But at night that temp seems perfect. So I am always playing a game to keep the water temp a few degrees cooler during the day and then warmer at night. Which means timing things perfectly since it takes so long to raise the temp. :hammer:

Maybe those naturally hot pools will help me convince my wife to move the heck out of this ridiculously over-priced state already :grrrr: :mrgreen:

the wife and I like it around 90 or 92. but the kids like it down in the lower 80... So in the spring we keep it warm for the old folks. Then when it get warmer outside I let the temp come down for the kids, besides by then its summer and the water should be cooler...
some say its like a spa, I say its like a relaxing bathtub!!!!

UGH…. our pool is WAY too hot!!!!! We have unusually hot temps (around 100, normal is 85!) Our pool is up at 96!!! Which would be awesome if we were in the 70's but when it feels like an oven outside a dip in a hot pool is gross! I just contacted our pool company to see what our options are! We run the water fall and our water accents but its not doing anything, every day it just gets warmer!

I got home last night and my pool water temp was 97 F! I drained about 5" and added water from our well to cool it down to 88 F. I emailed my best friend yesterday who also has a pool and she described her pool as, "jumping into a nice bowl of warm soup". Balmy is indeed relative.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, how do I get the temp down? I'm in TX, with dark plaster and a small IG play pool that is 5 ft at it's deepest. For the past 3 or so weeks, the water's been 92 degrees, and it's just too darn hot!
It's a new pool with little foliage for shade. I bought this mistcooler thingy online, but not sure it's really working. Can't afford to buy the $1200 cooler that attaches to equipment. What does everyone else do when the pool feels like bath water??

I'm in Texas also, Houston, and as you can see I also have a rather dark pool like you. My water temp is 81 and holding. How you ask?? Sorry to say but is you want your pool temperature in that range you'll HAVE to spring for a GOOD cooler. Those sprayer things do work, but not well in our humid climate. The just don't spray enough GPM to make much difference. I have a Glacier 210 Cooler that pumps out 45 GPM. I built my pool in late 2008. By June 2009 my pool temperature had already hit 94, so I went shopping and found the Glacier "swamp chiller" style coolers. Because of the humidity I was skeptical as how effective this type system would be here, but I bought their sales pitch, and their 210 model. Best investment in this pool I ever made. Even back a couple of summers ago when we had that heatwave of 100 plus degree temperatures for 40 days straight, my pool never went above 88 degrees. My pool is about 25k gallons. You could probably get by with their GCP25 model. But the fact is, if you want something that's going to be significantly effective, you're going to have to spend some money. The good news is a low operating cost. There is only one large fan to run. No heat pump or compressor which also mean virtually no maintanece costs. I haven't had to spend a dime on it in 7 years.

[/URL

[URL=http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/fredfournier/media/CEA4572C-57B3-4A0C-8E91-D65EF5B10848_3.png.html]

Second what JasonLion said. This little fountain cost just $20.00. It works great. Our temp has dropped 8 degrees since yesterday. It has a movable ring that allows you to control the flow. It also pivots on a ball joint so you can aim it. It also helps to prevent breakage if kids try to move it.

poolcool.jpg

ComputerGuy: What's the name of the brand and/or name of the fountain? Where did you buy it?

My pool doesn't even have water in it yet, but I like pool water to be as cool as possible in the summer. In the 70's would be great, but I realize I'm going to have to settle for lower than what it is without any devices!

Thanks!
Suz.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.