Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does aeration ever stop being effective?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does aeration ever stop being effective?

I have been lowering my TA over the past few days. It started at ~ 150 and now is near 90 ppm. I have been using up my dry acid and starting to use muriatic aliong with aeration. My last slug of muriatic was ~ 18 hours ago, dropping the pH to ~ 7.0. Despite continuing to aerate for ~ 18 hours, the pH this time has only increased to ~ 7.3 or so. Usually, it would only take about 6 hours at the most. That is to say, the correction of pH using aeration is much slower this time despite having a lower TA (buffer).

Is it time to give up on the aeration? If need be, should further pH correction be done with Borax?
    25000 gal inground freeform plaster pool with spillover hot tub. 1.5 hp PacFab Challenger pump, Hayward DE filter, Natural Gas heater, BBB convert 2009, Aquasol solar panels on ground rack 2010, PS-4 controller 2010, Rocky roller, SWG 2011.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does aeration ever stop being effective?

Hi Mokabb...we need some more info...do you have a swg or experience rapid PH rise?

What you are experiencing is normal, as the rate of PH rise declines at lower TA levels. Hence why we recommend the lower levels when using a swg or you have a waterfall feature that provides constant aeration.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

No SWG. Converting trichlor to bleach. My TA has been between 120-150 for the past few years. I was just trying to get it down to the 60-100 range using acid and aeration. The first 40-50 ppm decrease seemed to go quicker than this last 10-20 ppm. I was asking more out of curiosity than a result of a problem. I figured that there probably is a new equilibrium reached.
    25000 gal inground freeform plaster pool with spillover hot tub. 1.5 hp PacFab Challenger pump, Hayward DE filter, Natural Gas heater, BBB convert 2009, Aquasol solar panels on ground rack 2010, PS-4 controller 2010, Rocky roller, SWG 2011.

4. Back To Top    #4

What you are experiencing is exactly as predicted. The rate of pH rise gets slower as the TA gets lower. This is the main reason you want to lower the TA in the first place. Though a lower TA has less pH buffering, TA itself is a SOURCE of rising pH and this latter effect outweighs the former. So ironically, lowering the TA makes the pH more stable IF the pH was rising previously (due to carbon dioxide outgassing).

If it is that difficult for you to raise the pH through aeration, then your TA is probably low enough to have the pH be fairly stable when the aeration is stopped.

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"