Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Uh Oh, leaking solar panels

1. Back To Top    #1
    S.E. Wisconsin

Uh Oh, leaking solar panels

FINALLY got the solar panels up on the roof and REPLUMBED after they blew off last fall and cracked a few fittings. Trust me, they WILL NOT fall off again.

It's kind of pitiful IMO that it's July and I still haven't swam in our pool. Stinkin' cold weather.

Now for my problem. Finished the plumbing and turned the valves to let water through and hear the bubbles from the return... Good! Go on the roof to check everything out and see water SPRAYING out of three places on two of the panels... BAD!

I think the damage is from screw heads in the roof last year when the panels blew off the roof. One hole is only one tube, but the other two probably cover 5-10 tubes. How do I fix this????

I'll post pics tomorrow.

18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Egg Harbor Twp, NJ

Re: Uh Oh, leaking solar panels

I helped a friend plug a few holes in his panels once - not sure of the brand. Anyway, we cut out a few of the smaller tubes and used self tapping hex head screws with rubber washers that came from the mfg.

Do you know what brand you have? Seems all mfg's have instructions to fix, example: ... ctions.pdf

24000gal IG Plaster, Jandy 2Hp, Jandy CL460 Cartridge, Polaris 280 w/booster