How to clean impeller

Ke

Sep 29, 2007
Toronto
I noticed a drop in the pump pressure on my Sta-rite Max-E-Pro 1 hp, the skimmer and pump baskets are both clean. The pump is 1 year old and I 've never taken it apart to clean the impeller. We do get a lot of pine needles in the pool. Has anyone done this and is there anything I should watch out?

Undo the clamp ring, pull apart and set the housing o-ring aside, then unscrew the diffuser, then inspect the impeller. To remove debris from them I like to use pipe clears(bendable wires covered in cotton from a craft store) or a zip-tie because it's flexible.

Do I need to apply teflon gel on the O-ring? The skimmer and pump baskets are not too effective in catching pine needles, because they are so thin, they can go right through, I do get lots of pine needles when I clean my cartridge filter.

The instruction manuel for the Star-rite pump isn't too clear, after I pull the pump motor portion away, there is a diffuser plate I need to remove, will I be able to get to the impeller after this? Or must I remove the impeller in order to clean it? Also someone mentioned about every time you take the pump apart there is a seal you must replace rather than reuse, which seal is that? I just want to know as much before I actually do it. Thanks.

When you're through with that project, you might want to give skimmer socks a thought. They have helped me greatly with my millions of pine needles. Last year, I thought I had a clogged impeller, but I found the impeller turned easily manually when I started to investigate. Turns out I had a large clump of pine needles stuck behind my light fixture/return. I was able to break apart the clump and fish them out with a heavy duty plastic wire-tie.

Good luck!

Ke said:
The instruction manuel for the Star-rite pump isn't too clear, after I pull the pump motor portion away, there is a diffuser plate I need to remove, will I be able to get to the impeller after this? Or must I remove the impeller in order to clean it? Also someone mentioned about every time you take the pump apart there is a seal you must replace rather than reuse, which seal is that? I just want to know as much before I actually do it. Thanks.

Yes, you'll find the impeller directly behind the diffuser plate. You won't have to remove the impeller to clean it. The seal that you mention that needs to be replaced every time a motor is replaced is between the impeller and the motor, so you won't need to worry about it.

Ke, I have to do this about every other weekend due to pine needles. I'm amazed that you haven't had to do it in a year! You definetly need to get skimmer socks. I have come to the conclusion that they are critical in my case. They really help with catching the needles. When I open the impeller up, it usually looks likes strings on a vacuum! I just hose it out and dig them out with a screwdriver and hose some more until they're all out. I've become a pro!

With all this information on hand, I took my pump apart today, everything went as planned, removed lots of pine needles from the impeller, the pressure immediately went from 9 to 15 psi, big difference! I also put on a skimmer sock for the first time, so far so good.
I am so glad I could do this myself, my pool is about 1 year old, so far I have been doing all the up keeping myself, my PB does not do pool maintenance. Here in Toronto, Canada, I guess the economy isn't as bad as it seems, it is very difficult to get tradesman to do small jobs, my friend just bought a house with a swimming pool, when she called a well known pool company they refused to accept new clients.
Anyway, thanks everyone for the help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.