Very high CC levels

diverman57

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2009
i am with tc on the frustration level. i started converting 5 or 6 weeks ago. pool looks great,
but as yet i am unable to get cc numbers down. i am adding 9 or 10 gallons of bleach daily
to keep bringing fc up to 15 and still get cc readings off the chart (30 or higher). i know
someone will ask for all my numbers, so here they are:
FC:8
CC:30+
TA:150
PH:7.2
CH:300
CYA:45
any suggestions?

With CYA at 45, you can use a slightly higher FC target level, 20, to speed up the process. Other than that, you want the pool to get lost of sunlight. Sunlight and high FC levels will break down CC.

One quick double check. Have you been using any MPS? MPS can register as CC on the test, even though it isn't.

i have been converting for 6 or 7 weeks now. as i said pool looks great, sparkles
and all in the sun. i just can't get the cc numbers down. i did use non chlorine shock
in the very beginning at the direction of pool store (before i found this site), but that
was over 6 weeks ago. could non chlorine shock still be giving high cc numbers after 6 weeks?

In general no, it will usually be gone after one week (or less). It is remotely possible that it could still be around if you used a really huge amount to start with.

If you are doing a baquacil conversion, how did your CYA level get up to 45? That can really slow things down dramatically.

It seems unlikely that this has anything to do with it, but now would be a good time to review your test technique, to make sure you are doing the chlorine test correctly.

What does your water look like?

ok lets start from the beginning. i decided to convert from baq to chlorine at start of this
pool season. that was before i had found this site, so i was converting with the help of
the local pool store. they had me add 3 lbs of non chlorine shock for 2 days (6 lbs total).
they then had me add 4 lbs of granular shock per day for a week. at this time the pool
looked perfect so they called conversion complete, had me add cya, change the sand
and sold me a bucket oftri-clor pucks. this was from may 15 thru may 23.then when i
found this site and ordered the test kit i realized that chlorine numbers were not right , especially
the cc number. believe me, i questioned my method of testing also, so i took a sample
to the pool store and they said that yes my cc numbers were off the chart. they also
said don't worry about it , just keep fc up to 4 or 5, shock weekly and eventually cc
would come down. they also said go ahead and swim, it'll be ok, but as i have a 4 yr old
grand daughter, i don't really like the idea of her being in the pool right now. so now i am bringing
fc up to 20 at least twice a day, yet see no drop in cc. one other issue that might be causing
problems might be water mold/pink algae. i fought this for years on the baq and the way they had you
try to deal with it was to pour baq shock directly into skimmer to remove water mold/pink
algae from the lines. this somewhat worked as you would always have pinkish/white clumps
of Crud on the bottom of the pool the next day. i have noticed that every time i bring fc up to
shock level that the next day there will be white clumps on the bottom of the pool. so if there is still
water mold in the lines will that cause high cc and if so, how do i get totally rid of it? and by the way i am using nothing but liquid chlorine now.

Alright, I see how this happened. Lets go up to high shock level, around 26 or 27, especially in the evenings. That will speed things up more.

Yes, any water mold/pink algae in your plumbing is going to be contributing to the CC level. The chlorine will kill it, but it can take it a while if you have a particularly bad infestation. You should also make sure that you clean out the filter as well as you can. Any water mold or baqgoo caught in the filter will also be contributing to the CC level.

Having CYA in the water is slowing things down, but there is nothing you can do about that at this point.

That wasn't enough MPS to still be causing a problem after six weeks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
still have very high cc (25+) , but i think maybe it may be from water mold
instead of any lingering baq. today after adding chlorine i was fooling
with my pump and switching it quickly from skimmer to drain and back and forth.
i noticed that when the full pressure would hit either skimmer or main
drain, there would be hunks of white slime come through the pump.
would that be enough to cause high cc in itself? and if so, should i just
continue at shock level til its gone? also there is a product from united
chemical called pink treat (http://www.swimpool.com/products/pink.htm)
that i used with some success with baquacil .
this product is also compatable with chlorine. would this chemical speed
up the process or should i just keep chlorine at high levels til cc comes down?

I would stick with chlorine. Using additional products can create more problems than it solves. Just keep the FC level high until the CC level comes down and let the pool get as much direct sunlight as possible (ie don't cover it during the day).

i must admit i am becoming very frustrated. i have spent $700 on bleach
and granular chlorine in 2 months and still can't get cc down. just checked pool and
fc was 5.0 and cc was 25.0. while 25 on cc is better than it has been,
and pool looks very good, its getting expensive to spend $10 to $12 per day
for bleach. any suggestions anyone?
latest numbers:
fc-5
cc-25
ph-7.0
ta-140
ch-280
cya-40

ps- i am still getting chunks of pink algae coming out of the lines.
any suggestions on cleaning out the lines other than keeping chlorine at shock levels?

well finally cc has started coming down, after shocking pool every day for 2 months.
about 10 days ago cc was still 25, then the next day it was 18, then 15, 13,
11, 10, 8, and today 4.5. i know its not there yet but hopefully its just a
matter of a few more days. my question now is, will the process of burning off
the cc cause a higher loss of fc?

Burning off CC does consume FC. But that has been happening the entire time.

Previously, CC was being created, which consumes FC, and destroyed, which consumes FC, at about the same rate. Now that whatever was being broken down to create the CC is gone, your FC usage should fall slightly.

well finally my cc is zero. i want to thank everyone who responded
with suggestions and tips, especially jason. every time i became frustrated
and felt like giving up jason came through with tips on how to proceed.
my pool looks great , fc is holding and cc in gone. so thank you again
jason for your advice. and for all others using this site, please contribute
to keep it going. it is well worth the price.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.