Is it OK to leave the pool pump and SWG running all the time

AND is it OK to leave the SWG running if the pump is on a timer? Or should they be on the same timer? I know this is elementary stuff, but I am complete newbie with pool maintenance.

If your motor name plate says it's rated for continous duty (and most do) then it's ok to run it 24/7. You'll reduce the years of use you'll get out of it simply because you're putting more hours per day on it so it won't last as many days but it'll last the same number of running hours.

You should not run the SWG if the pump isn't running. Most SWG's (the Aqua-Trol RJ is an exception) have a flow switch that shuts it down if it senses a no flow condition. I don't know if the Intex has one or not.

Thanks for the quick response. I have an Aquarite for a 40K pool. When I shut down the pump, it registered 'no flow'. Not sure if that is damaging to the SWG. I would like to put the Aquarite and the pump on the same timer (currently, there is only one tripper) so they can both run about 8 to 10 hours a day. Is there a thread on this forum that discusses hooking up the SWG to the timer? Thanks again.

10acguy said:
AND is it OK to leave the SWG running if the pump is on a timer? Or should they be on the same timer? I know this is elementary stuff, but I am complete newbie with pool maintenance.

As far as putting the SWG on a timer, I am not sure with the higher end models,

But the avg, to lower end models can't be put on a timer due to them losing their information.
Whenever you first set the SWG up and run its cycle, it will go into "sleep" mode. 24hrs from the time you first started it, it will automatically kick back on, until you either change it, or there is a power failure or the flow sensor trips, it will run every 24hrs like clock work.

If I were you, I would have the pump kick on at least an hour before and kick off no earlier than an hour after the SWG is set to run.

Low flow just means it shut down due to the pump being off. Wont hurt one thing, thats the way its designed. If the pumps on, it will make chlorine. i run my pump 15 hours a day with the SWG set at 15%. Keeps my FC ~5-6 ppm, even in full sun. My CYA is about 50 ppm. Now, if i ran the pump less, i'd have to increase the "on' time of the SWG and maybe increase the CYA. But, im not concerend about power usage. Id rather run the pump longer and keep the SWG on a lower percentage than risk not turning the water over enough and making a near constant low level of chlorine.

Having the SWG turn off due to no-flow is fine. The danger is if the flow switch fails to turn off the SWG. That is why it is much better to have them both on the same timer, so the SWG can't possibly be on unless the pump is on. That is the standard way to install a SWG if you have a timer and everything is hardwired.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.