Question about CYA

CYA is often sold as stabilizer or conditioner and should contain 90+% cyanuric acid.

It is available in pool stores and in the pool departments of many big box stores (Lowes, Home Depot, WalMart, etc). The big box stores don't always bother to keep it in stock however.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tie a string or small rope around the sock,(tie up end of sock too).

Find something outside the pool to tie off to(chair,tree) and toss the sock over in front of the return.

I put the granular CYA in panty hose but it was wayyyyy to long to fit in the skimmer.. I tied it so it hung in front of the return but only a small part of it is actually near the return.. The panty hose was stretched about 2 or 3 ft long.. Is that right??

Also, the part that is in front of the return has white stuff blowing out of it.. Is this also right??

Yes, that's right, and seeing the white bits is normal... If you can make the sock shorter, so that the bulk if it is in front of the water flow. I tied mine to the outside of the return, around the end of the hose fitting where it goes into the pool. That length was perfect for the sock to dangle in the flow.

I shortened it a little by tieing a not so it dangled in front of the return but it kept twisting around and around... HOpefully it wont twist so much it comes off.. :hammer:

So, now that I have added the bleach and the CYA what's next? When should I test again? In the morning or evening? Should I test for everything or just the bleach??

The pool was just installed on Tuesday so Wednesday evening was the first time I added any chemicals to it. I tested the water out of the faucet and that was how I got my readings..

I will test the water this morning and post it to see if I need anything right now..

Here are my numbers for Friday Morning 6:30 am

FC= 3

CC= .5

TA= 70

I just added CYA for the first time last night so I didnt test for that.. Should I add more bleach this morning or wait for tonight??

I also didnt test for PH because nothing was added to change it. Should I test for that anyway??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.