Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much of the B's to purchase

1. Back To Top    #1

How much of the B's to purchase

Borax is not available at local stores so I am purchasing online. How much is used regularly so I know how much to buy..storage is NOT an issue so I can buy in bulk
    Peter T
    17500 IG gunite saltwater with 2 Jandy (1.5 and 2) with cartridge filter 150 gpm flow rate and Solar heat. Aquacell NACL converter. Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: How much of the B's to purchase

Hey, Pete,

Welcome to the forum. I sense your enthusiasm for BBB and you will find it is a really great idea. However, don't order anything just yet.

All the "stuff" is used to make adjustments to your chemistry and we don't know if you have to make any until you post some test results.

If your kit is slow arriving, you can take a water sample to a pool store for test results (don't buy anything) and that will help get us started.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I second Dave's recommendation of not ordering anything till you get a test kit and know the numbers. I've only had to add 20 Mule's once and that was only two boxes. Bleach is going to be your most consumed chemical. You should be shopping around for the best deal on that. Remember, if a gal of 12% costs twice as much as a gal of 6% It'll cost you the same in the end.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

And, you can't store a lot of bleach as it will decay with time. You don't want to store much muriatic acid because it is really nasty stuff (we had some stored in the plastic jug on a metal shelf in the garage... it ate through the metal shelves.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok...thanks for the replys.
    Peter T
    17500 IG gunite saltwater with 2 Jandy (1.5 and 2) with cartridge filter 150 gpm flow rate and Solar heat. Aquacell NACL converter. Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

I've not had to adjust my PH or TA in over two years, so I've only had to add one B, bleach.

Every pool situation is different, you kinda have to wait and see.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

My tap water is a somewhat alkaline, as is the dust that gets blown into my pool here in the desert. So I never have to add either borax or baking soda - except when I used some tri-chlor to bump up my CYA, and then only a very small amount, less than a cup. I occasionally have to add acid to bring my PH down, but even that's really not a whole lot, just a few ounces every couple of weeks. That's one thing I like about liquid chlorine (bleach) - although it has a high PH, the chemical reaction of the chlorine is low PH, so it tends to balance itself out.

Oh, and depending on where you are in the country, you might be able to find the 10 or 12 percent liquid chlorine cheaper than bleach. I usually get the Kem-Tek brand of 10% at Home Depot or Lowes. But liquid chlorine at the pool store is often more expensive here, and doesn't seem to be as fresh.
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by peternmdds
    Borax is not available at local stores so I am purchasing online.
    You don't have a Wal-Mart local?
    16,000 gal IG Double Roman Plaster Pool (16yrs - plaster redone 2014)
    Pentair FNS-48 DE filter with WhisperFlo 2HP single speed pump
    Polaris 280 robot
    BBB all the way and tested with a TF100 kit
    Pool Calc user