How much of the B's to purchase

Hey, Pete,

Welcome to the forum. I sense your enthusiasm for BBB and you will find it is a really great idea. However, don't order anything just yet.

All the "stuff" is used to make adjustments to your chemistry and we don't know if you have to make any until you post some test results.

If your kit is slow arriving, you can take a water sample to a pool store for test results (don't buy anything) and that will help get us started.

I second Dave's recommendation of not ordering anything till you get a test kit and know the numbers. I've only had to add 20 Mule's once :party: and that was only two boxes. Bleach is going to be your most consumed chemical. You should be shopping around for the best deal on that. Remember, if a gal of 12% costs twice as much as a gal of 6% It'll cost you the same in the end.

And, you can't store a lot of bleach as it will decay with time. You don't want to store much muriatic acid because it is really nasty stuff (we had some stored in the plastic jug on a metal shelf in the garage... it ate through the metal shelves.

My tap water is a somewhat alkaline, as is the dust that gets blown into my pool here in the desert. So I never have to add either borax or baking soda - except when I used some tri-chlor to bump up my CYA, and then only a very small amount, less than a cup. I occasionally have to add acid to bring my PH down, but even that's really not a whole lot, just a few ounces every couple of weeks. That's one thing I like about liquid chlorine (bleach) - although it has a high PH, the chemical reaction of the chlorine is low PH, so it tends to balance itself out.

Oh, and depending on where you are in the country, you might be able to find the 10 or 12 percent liquid chlorine cheaper than bleach. I usually get the Kem-Tek brand of 10% at Home Depot or Lowes. But liquid chlorine at the pool store is often more expensive here, and doesn't seem to be as fresh.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.