Too much black algae killer in pool

arnpkc

Jul 4, 2009
I told my husband to put some black algae killer in the pool, and well, he poured the whole bottle in because I did specify how much. yeah. This was a couple of days ago and the pool is cloudy and smells like that bottle. Should I just wait it out for the chemical levels to go down or should I empty out some water and refill? Or is there something that will counteract the chemical? Thank you for your time. :hammer:

KC

well, I suppose I would wait.
but if you really want the help this forum can offer you that will get your pool cleared up and nice, and guarantee no more algae, as well as how to get rid of what you do have, read pool school, including the one that says read this before posting on the forum. link in top right of every page.

Hi KC and welcome to the forum :wave:

What are the ingredients on the bottle of black algae killer?

We really need for you to post a full set of test results.

Are you running the pump/filter 24/7?

How does your water look?

Please add your pool and equipment specs in your sig. Go to User Control Panel (upper left under TFP logo), select Profile, then select Edit Sig. :wink:

We want to help, just need more info :-D

Hi Butterfly and my apologies for not reading the "read this before you post", I did not see it or look for it, was looking for a quick answer.
What are the ingredients on the bottle of black algae killer? - That is the problem, I was not there when my husband did this, he said the neighbor gave him the bottle when they moved out and the writing on it was all worn off...he did say it said Lesiles Black Algae Killer.

We really need for you to post a full set of test results. - I am not home and husband does not know how to do this, I normally take care of pool without having to add anything but chlorine and adjust pH from time to time, but since noone is doing this, I guess some black algae and mustard algae appeared and he decided to add this stuff (the whole bottle by mistake)

Are you running the pump/filter 24/7? I was not but am now - but it runs approx 8 hours a day usually.

How does your water look? the water looks clear now from what my husband is telling me but I know some of the algae killer stuff can be very harmful so I just wanted to know when would it be safe to go back into the pool.

So would really like to know how harmful this stuff is to humans and if anyone knows when it would be safe to enter the water again. My husband has been cleaning the filter everyday now and says the blue discoloration is almost gone now off the filter.

Once again thank you for your help.

unfortunately that leslie's junk has ammonia and copper. I saw a guy at leslie's just a couple days ago who was getting this stuff...I wanted to pull my hair out, esp cause his problem was virtually nill and would have been fixed by rubbing a trichlor puck on the spot for a few days. when are you going to be home?

From the stuff we sell for black algae, what you've done is temporarily converted your pool to bromine instead of chlorine :oops: For proper sanitizing levels you need 2X the amount of sanitizer to equal the equivalent of cl. Bromine can't be stabilized, but even in it's combined form, it is still able to kill algae 8)

I'll leave it to one of our true chem experts to correct/ and clarify what I've just said :)

reebok

i will be home in a couple of days, but meanwhile, kids have been wanting to go swimming, but i told them to stay out of the pool for now. i have no experience with the algaecides and someone told me it can be fatal if you get on your skin.

i only usually test for cholrine and pH which i could have my husband do, but don't think that would be enough for the question i have, if it is safe to enter pool from the amount of junk algaecide (and I do thik it is the Copper/DBAC kind) got put into the pool. i can have him run a sample to lesile's and i guess get some test results posted, but not sure if that would be helpful enough.

Again, I have not had an algae problem before and not used that stupid stuff, i have just been out of town and noone is taking care of the pool and we have had A LOT of rain, which i think has contributed to the problem.

Well I wouldn't bathe in it, but I think it would have a warning or two if it caused instant death. I think your biggest problem will be potential copper staining. It's a copper quat. I have a leslies pool care book which is what told me what it is. Copper and ammonia.

8 : FC - Free Chlorine
8 : CC - Combined Chlorine
7.2 : pH -
100 : TA - Total Alkalinity
140 : CH - Calcium Hardness
60 : CYA - Cyanuric Acid (stabilizer)

Pool looks good, clear and blue, but still have not gotten in, Chlorine is too high, but hopefully that means the copper and ammonia from the half gallon of black algae killer that was dumped in the pool has decreased. I did put a few more tabs in because it was raining like heck the last few days and had it set on high so I will definitely turn it down. Guy at pool store seems to think once chlorine is down, pool should be safe to swim in. Oh yeah, should I mention he reminded me my phosphates are 2500. Is there anything else I can do to get the phosphates down other than that forty dollar bottle or should I just not worry about the phosphates and just keep the levels in check which has been hard due to the rain? Thank you all for your help. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Provided you keep your FC above the min for your CYA level, phosphates are irrelevant.

You should not be using tabs, your CYA is already too high. :whip:

You need to raise your FC back up to shock level, which for a CYA of 60 is a FC of 24. You need to hold it at 24 UNTIL the CC is no longer 8. You need your CC to be .5 or less. You should be using Liquid Chlorine to accomplish this.

You need your own test kit, so you don't have to be subjected to anymore bad advice from the pool store. :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.