Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to get the right CYA level

1. Back To Top    #1

How to get the right CYA level

I just refilled my pool with new water and got everything but CYA setup. WHat is the best practice to get the CYA established and how do I do it? DO I dissolve the CYA in hot water in a bucket at 1lb per 3000 gal of pool water? OR do I just add CYa to skimmer and let DE filter slowly dissolve the crystals?

HERE is the current water readings
    TA 1
    FC 1
    TA 80
    pH 7.5
    Hardness 300
    CYA = 0
    Mike Marchi
    Southern California
    14000 Gal IG Pool, Dark Grey Plaster, Purex 4000 DE Filter (54Cubic Ft), WisperFlo 2HP pump
    Purex 400000 BTU Heater, Navigator Pool Cleaner, Granite waterfall with 2HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: How to get the right CYA level

Do you know how to use the Pool Calculator? It will tell you exactly how much CYA to add.

You want to add 2 lbs of CYA at a time to a sock, and put the sock in the skimmer where it will slowly dissolve, set it to the side so it doesn't block the water flow. You may need to repeat the process to get the CYA to the proper level, but 2 lbs at a time is a good amount.

Wait a week to retest CYA after the final addition. Make sure the pump is running while the CYA is dissolving.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner