SWG question....

Jul 2, 2009
Jax, FL
How long should it be cycling every night? The first time we ran it for 3 hours and the next morning we had 0 FC. So last night we ran it for 5 hours and still had 0 FC this morning. Thanks to dmanb2b's good advice I have already put in 48 oz of bleach and on my way out the door to get stabilizer and muriatic acid.

So how long would you recommend running it? and is it important to not have any bodies in the pool when it is running?

Thanks! :)

Okay new reading after adding bleach and muriatic acid

FC: 1
pH 7.3

That's good right?

now about the CYA, I don't have a CYA test kit yet...should I add the 2 lbs or wait until I have a test kit?!

Thank you so much already for all of your help!!! :mrgreen:

Okay, you only need 2 lbs for now. Use a cup measure - 1 cup, 3 oz = 2 lb according to the Pool Calc.

Keep the pump running while it's dissolving.

I'm guessing you have a nascent algae situation and your SWG can't keep up, either that or the SWG isn't functioning properly.

Add one small jug of 6% bleach tonight and do an overnight FC loss test. If you lose more than 1ppm, we can suspect nascent algae is the problem.

I'm assuming this is an Intex SWG - it should only need a few hours run time for your size pool.

No swimmers while pump/filter are running, from an elec safety standpoint.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Okay, you only need 2 lbs for now. Use a cup measure - 1 cup, 3 oz = 2 lb according to the Pool Calc.

Keep the pump running while it's dissolving.

I'm guessing you have a nascent algae situation and your SWG can't keep up, either that or the SWG isn't functioning properly.

Add one small jug of 6% bleach tonight and do an overnight FC loss test. If you lose more than 1ppm, we can suspect nascent algae is the problem.

I'm assuming this is an Intex SWG - it should only need a few hours run time for your size pool.

No swimmers while pump/filter are running, from an elec safety standpoint.

Actually this is a start up. :) And you assumed right it is an Intex SWG. The water is nice and clear. I should have posted my numbers from the yesterday. The day after our first run with the SWG:

chlorine 0
pH 8.0
salt 3100
T.D.S 4400
Stabilizer 0
Hardness 260
Alkalinity 170

So I've added 48 oz of bleach and 12 oz of muriatic acid...I need to add 2 lbs of CYA from what I understand. I just didn't know how exactly to measure it. :) Do you think I need CYA if I have none in there now? Sorry such a newbie. :oops:

Yes, and my advice above still stands. :)

You need to add CYA by measuring out 1 cup, 3 oz and put it in the sock.

No swimming while pump is running, pump must be running for CYA to dissolve.

This evening, add one small jug of bleach, wait 30 minutes and perform the overnight loss test.

If the SWG was working properly, you should have seen some results running it overnight.

The overnight loss test with the SWG off will pinpoint if there is organics in your water consuming the chlorine. :wink:

No problem...unfortunately it looks like adding the 48oz of bleach did not work. Yes add the two lbs of CYA if you haven;t already and as FPM stated dump that 96oz bottle of bleach in as well...the pool has organics in it if the FC is only 1 after adding the 48oz of bleach I recommended

Question for you...I have the intex swg as well...when it's running does the green light come on indicating it is generating chlorine? The swg has a timer that you need to set to run for a specific # of hours...it just doesn;t turn on if all you do is press the on/off switch...does that make sense?

frustratedpoolmom said:
Yes, and my advice above still stands. :)

You need to add CYA by measuring out 1 cup, 3 oz and put it in the sock.

No swimming while pump is running, pump must be running for CYA to dissolve.

This evening, add one small jug of bleach, wait 30 minutes and perform the overnight loss test.

If the SWG was working properly, you should have seen some results running it overnight.

The overnight loss test with the SWG off will pinpoint if there is organics in your water consuming the chlorine. :wink:

Gracias! :) Will do. I am hoping that we will have no loss because everything is brand new and it BETTER be working... ;)
Hopefully tomorrow will be a swimming day. :)

dmanb2b said:
No problem...unfortunately it looks like adding the 48oz of bleach did not work. Yes add the two lbs of CYA if you haven;t already and as FPM stated dump that 96oz bottle of bleach in as well...the pool has organics in it if the FC is only 1 after adding the 48oz of bleach I recommended

Question for you...I have the intex swg as well...when it's running does the green light come on indicating it is generating chlorine? The swg has a timer that you need to set to run for a specific # of hours...it just doesn;t turn on if all you do is press the on/off switch...does that make sense?
What kind of organics would be in the pool? (leaves, dirt, bugs?) Yes the green light is on, and yes we set it for 5 hours last night. Still had 0 FC this morning.

Is the pool water clear, green or murky? Did you use well water, tap water or have it delivered. I had a problem once when my trucking co delivered pond water and had to shock on a fresh fill.

Well keep troubleshooting, but the Intex SWG has no problem maintaining my FC in a 13,500gal pool on a 3hr run time...so something is not adding up. We'll keep it old school for now and attack with bleach...then we can try to diagnose the swg .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can have a "nascent" algae bloom. You can be on the verge of the pool turning green... but it shows up in your FC testing before you "see" it.

Basically the algae is consuming the chlorine as you add it, so you get no chlorine readings but the water stays clear.

The overnight test will confirm this or rule it out. :wink:

dmanb2b said:
Is the pool water clear, green or murky? Did you use well water, tap water or have it delivered. I had a problem once when my trucking co delivered pond water and had to shock on a fresh fill.

Well keep troubleshooting, but the Intex SWG has no problem maintaining my FC in a 13,500gal pool on a 3hr run time...so something is not adding up. We'll keep it old school for now and attack with bleach...then we can try to diagnose the swg .
Water is still clear. We filled it on Monday afternoon, put the salt in Tuesday, ran the SWG on Wednesday for 3 hours, ran it last night for 5. Still have nice clear water. Just a lousy FC reading.

We filled the pool with tap water.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Yup, a sock. Ain't we fancy 'round here.... :lol: I used an old dress sock, a tube sock, whatever ya got.

Tie it off in front of the return, so the water makes it dance... it will dissolve best that way.
That's my kinda fancy. I can do that. :) actually will do right now. :) Thank you very much...and thanks for your patience....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.