Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Control Box HOT

1. Back To Top    #1

Macon Ga

Control Box HOT

Can anyone tell me how hot the SWG control box should become? It is installed in the direct sun but the very top of the box becomes very hot and has a little electrical smell. You can hardly touch the top of the box. The box is about 2 months old and I never notice it until yesterday. Thanks
    18X38 Grecian 26000 gallon In Ground Vinyl. Goldline AuqaRite SWG with a 1.5 HP Pentair Pump. Triton 2 Sand Filter Two main drains with 4 main returns with 2 more returns on the swimout and two skimmers. Polaris 380

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Control Box HOT

It is normal for the transformer to get rather hot, especially if it is in the sun. You don't want there to be anything blocking its ventilation ports and ideally you want to shade it from direct sunlight (though that isn't always practical).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Brisbane, Australia

might want to put a shade above it

transformer based SWG can get pretty hot
    one way to mitigate it would be to reduce output percentage and increase run time

also make sure there is adequate ventilation and get it out of direct sunlight

4. Back To Top    #4

also make sure there is adequate ventilation and get it out of direct sunlight
    This is a must. IMHO

Happy swims
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.